Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Master the blinds and you cant lose with basic poker knowlegde

Does this statement make sense to anyone.

Anyone with a basic knowledge if they can keep blind losses to a minimum then within reason no matter how they play pre flop, lets say, not a complete maniac vpip over 60, then you would find it hard to lose.

How many of you player who had had long losing runs have been losing in any position outside the blinds?

Not sure if my point is clear, and dont go to extremes to prove its not, but I know my next step is to master the blinds.

Anyone any good posts bookmarked or any comments to add?
Old 04-24-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Master the blinds and you cant lose with basic poker knowlegde

I'll bite-
If you can play expertly in the blinds- with what are generally weak hands out of position, and get you bb win rate to around (.09) per hand and sb to (.04) then you are very likely a dominating player who can play well enough postflop to add a lot of hands profitably.
If you are that good then you should find it quite hard to loose playing 40, or MAYBE even 50% of your hands. However you will be continuing to fight against the rake and it seems clear that MOST of these hands you add are -ev and you are not any hwere near your optimun win rate.
But i do agree, blind play is representative of sh play as a whole - it forces you to play well postflop while being loose (relative to full ring) preflop.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:01 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

in a tight game I'd assume that has to be true, but you can't master playing in the blinds with just basic poker knowledge. reading hands and reading the board are abilities that develop over time.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:07 PM

Blindplay is the most difficult part of poker if you ask me. If you're an expert in the blinds, chances are you're an excellent player out of the blinds.