Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 04-21-2005, 09:26 PM
beanie beanie is offline
Member

Default Re: Your money is not secure on Party Poker

Well said, I believe this should conclude our programming. I truly do mean this. Good Luck everyone, hopefully Party doesn't allow someome to change your information and access your accounts. I appreciate everyone listening. I likely won't be monitoring this thread very much. I feel like the topic has sort of been beaten to death and everyone understands where I am coming from.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:27 AM
CountDeMonet CountDeMonet is offline
Junior Member

I think these are the lessons you should be learning from the previous replies.

1)Someone can spoof your e-mail. This has nothing to do with keeping your password safe. Do you know what spoofing is?

2)Most people would not want to report this to the police. The laws seem to indicate that online poker is fine. If you get someone in charge who disagrees with my above assessment you could be putting yourself on the radar screen with someone who can make alot of trouble for you. It isn't worth a stinking $2000.

3)Party requiring a police report is unreasonable IMO because of the above reason. This person expecting Party to safeguard his account is not. Why wasn't this done? Doesn't this scare you? Shouldn't it?

Why are you sticking up for Party when their interest in getting to the bottom of what is going on didn't begin until they were the ones with the problem. They didn't give a rat's ass about this guys account. Don't you expect companies you do financial dealings with to protect you? Of course you do. He had a reasonable expectation that Party would require more than a funky e-mail from his address and a copy of an unrelated person's drivers license to change all information in his account. Why are you giving this person a hard time? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

CountDeMonet
Old 04-22-2005, 04:06 AM
naschburger2 naschburger2 is offline
Junior Member

Location: tucson, az

I believe every site should require a copy of the death certificate before such a change is allowed. I have thought about what would happen to all my money on line if I died. I guess I better let someone know what sites I am on and the password. oops but who can I trust. another catch 22
Old 04-22-2005, 07:02 AM
_And1_ _And1_ is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sweden

"will change the name, address and e-mail."

Well, congrats you've must have come across the only working support member in that company.

To change those you have to send in scans and so forth of diffrent pappers, i ve sent in scans and copies 10 times before my adress, phone number and so on were changed. My prefered player applicatin were sent in a zillion times before someone finally approved it.

One mail and you got a makeover account at party, that s just not belivable [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Note - i like it the way it is, couse it means that scams have to mail party a zillion times to with scans and crap to change anything and that isnt happening...
Old 04-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Freudian Freudian is offline
Junior Member

[ QUOTE ]

1)Someone can spoof your e-mail. This has nothing to do with keeping your password safe. Do you know what spoofing is?

[/ QUOTE ]

And someone would have to know that e-mail is connected to Party poker. Not only passwords are part of normal caution you know. I have an e-mail account that I only use for online gambling. None of my friends, family and previous disgruntled former employees know the e-mail to start with. Pretty hard to spoof something you don't know exist.

[ QUOTE ]

2)Most people would not want to report this to the police. The laws seem to indicate that online poker is fine. If you get someone in charge who disagrees with my above assessment you could be putting yourself on the radar screen with someone who can make alot of trouble for you. It isn't worth a stinking $2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if you belive the police will start an investigation for pokerplaying here you are deluded.

[ QUOTE ]

3)Party requiring a police report is unreasonable IMO because of the above reason. This person expecting Party to safeguard his account is not. Why wasn't this done? Doesn't this scare you? Shouldn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very reasonable since player fraud is so common. What would prevent the original poster and the supposed scammer from working together if no risk whatsoever is involved for the supposed scammer? If the victim doesn't want to press charges against someone who has stolen $2k, why should Party be responsible for paying the victim. The police report is the only indication Party would have that a real crime has been committed. I think you underestimate how common player fraud is.

Sure, Party needs to change their routines if everything has happened the way OP described. But they seem willing to reimburse the customer here as long as the customer shows them something from the police. This is nothing outlandish. Every insurance company would require the same.

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you sticking up for Party when their interest in getting to the bottom of what is going on didn't begin until they were the ones with the problem. They didn't give a rat's ass about this guys account. Don't you expect companies you do financial dealings with to protect you? Of course you do. He had a reasonable expectation that Party would require more than a funky e-mail from his address and a copy of an unrelated person's drivers license to change all information in his account. Why are you giving this person a hard time? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

CountDeMonet

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sticking up for Partys right to say "you claim you were wronged, show us something that proves you are willing to go after the one who wronged you and we will pay you".
Old 04-23-2005, 10:21 PM
TomBrooks TomBrooks is offline
Senior Member

Location: .5/1 Full Hand

Freudian, Well said and very reasonable in every regard.

=========================
Not a bad idea to do a little estate planning anyway...

Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:08:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Tomxxxx" <xxx@yahoo.com>
Subject: How Handle Death of Account Holder
To: info@partypoker.com

Dear Sir/Madam:

Pursuant to the planning of my estate, I would like to know how the release of
the funds in my account would be handled. Would it be sufficient for a friend
of mine to send you an email from the email account I have registered with you and a copy of his identification such as a Drivers Licence?

Thank you,
Tom xxxxx
Username: xxxxx
Old 04-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Tachyon Tachyon is offline
Member

[ QUOTE ]
Next are you going to tell us how secure things are at Ultimate Bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, while we are on the subject of UB, this is pretty similar to the reason why I do not play there anymore; I was having trouble signing into my account, so I fired off an email from my registered email address with full name and address zip etc. The problem was that my userid that I was using was slightly incorrect.

Imagine my shock when they replied with my new password to find that I was sitting looking at another players account information -- wasn't even from the same country!

Needless to say with account security procedures like that, how could I trust them with any more of my money!?

John
Old 04-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Tachyon Tachyon is offline
Member

Sure, but the actually reply that the Online Site sends will go to the actual account holder, who would obviously reply (you would hope) with a "WTF are you doing!"

John
Old 04-24-2005, 10:14 AM
TomBrooks TomBrooks is offline
Senior Member

Location: .5/1 Full Hand

[ QUOTE ]
From: xxxx@xxx.com>/ Subject: How Handle Death of Account Holder / To:info@partypoker.com / Pursuant to the planning of my estate, I would like to know how the release of the funds in my account would be handled...

[/ QUOTE ]
I got a reply last night which read in part...

Dear Tom, ...The query you have cannot be resolved over email, please call us at the below mentioned numbers so that we can explain the situation to you and assist you better.
------
I just called them and found out from the Customer Service Rep (CSR) that my account had been frozen.

Apparently there was some concern I might be deceased or someone might be trying to access my account. I explained I was only trying to make arrangements for the future. They put me through the most rigorous verification proceedure I have ever had them put me through. Not incredibly rigorous, but the most so far...(Name/address/DOB/email address/Bank Account number/Other Party Sites/and name of someone I transferred money with, and then they released the account.

The CSR told me that in the event of a death of an account holder, they wouldn't let anyone else play with the account and they wouldn't transfer it to anyone. They would request documentation of the death and then return the funds to the bank account that funded it. =TBk
Old 04-25-2005, 04:18 AM
beanie beanie is offline
Member

They did not in my family members case.