Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 10:12 AM

Default AK - UI What to do?

Another weakness in my game is how to play overcards. Villain here plays
poor hands to a showdown rather frequently. Will bet the flop a lot, but
very passive calling station after.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Bankuri is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Bankuri raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Bankuri bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

I tend to bet with overpairs on most any flop. Mostly I don't want to 'show weakness', but
I realize frequently I'm ahead (in this case, likely no trips against me...most likely FD).
Betting out can mess up attempts to protect later, but likely not getting flush draws out
anyway on the turn so get your money in while you are ahead?

Turn: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Bankuri bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Do I bet out here UI? I'm playing against a weak player, but that only means I could be
way behind right now and not know it.

River: (8 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Bankuri ???

What to do here? This guy is still in the pot with me I really don't know what
he has. Pot is decent size and a bet likely won't take it down without a showdown.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: AK - UI What to do?

I check/fold this on the flop.
I think that I'm behind quite often: to a J, and drawing dead if someone holds a 5.
I don't particularly like it if my A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] falls and there's a load of action, and any [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or Q coming makes me feel worse.
I figure a continuation bet into that pot isn't going to make everyone fold and I doubt that someone from a field of 5 is going to call down with a hand that I can beat UI.

However, I'm not confident in my approach and want to hear what more experienced players do here.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What to do here? This guy is still in the pot with me I really don't know what
he has. Pot is decent size and a bet likely won't take it down without a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

What will you do in response to his response? If you check and he bets, will you call, raise or fold? If you bet and he raises will you call, 3-bet or fold?

For my money, I doubt I'm getting called by a worse hand on this river, but a better hand may let it check through, so my inclination is to check/fold.

I'd probably check the turn, too. You got what you wanted on the flop, you're HU with the calling station, now find out if he's got a hand.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:40 AM

I bet the flop like you did. And check fold the turn. I run into this situation a lot. The reason I'd be the flop is most people raise PF with AK, AQ, AJ, AA-TT.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that I'm behind quite often: to a J, and drawing dead if someone holds a 5.
I don't particularly like it if my A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] falls and there's a load of action, and any [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or Q coming makes me feel worse.
I figure a continuation bet into that pot isn't going to make everyone fold and I doubt that someone from a field of 5 is going to call down with a hand that I can beat UI.

However, I'm not confident in my approach and want to hear what more experienced players do here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a leak. All your outs beat a jack, and its rare for someone to have a 5.

YOU CAN NOT CHECK/FOLD THESE SITUATIONS AND EXPECT TO BE A PROFITABLE PLAYER.

I like how you played it.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a leak. All your outs beat a jack, and its rare for someone to have a 5.

[/ QUOTE ]
One week, I decided to invest a handful of SB in an experiment at my nanolimit (.05/.10) table. If I was SB/BB, and the flop came up XXY, where neither X and Y were broadway cards, I was going to bet the flop with whatever I happened to have. I wanted to see how many people would really call in that situation, and how many would run away. I was amazed at how many people would fold that situation - almost always I'd have one caller, but rarely two or more, and occasionally the whole table would fold. I'd often have to check-fold the turn, but the confidence I gained from the evidence was invaluable. [My analogy is working on a particular golf shot - you can practice at the range all you want, but you'll gain more insight in the long run by investing in a round to actually trying it out on the course seven or eight times, even if you shoot higher than normal.]

Then I went to twodimes and calculated the odds of two overcards beating various hands after the flop. Obviously there is a bit of a range of hands, but roughly, this is what I found:
- &lt;1% against the set
- 25% against the two-pair (you have a lot of hidden outs, runner-runner TT will give you a better kicker, runner-runner flush/straight will tie the board)
- 45% against the flush draw + runner-runner straight draw, or straight draw + runner-runner flush draw

If five people see the flop, then you're getting 6-1 if you can isolate the two-pair heads-up. Sometimes you won't, and sometimes he'll have the set, but I think the times you get 6-1 or 7-1 odds to play a 25% hand make up for it. And of course there's the rare occasion when two opponents each have the two pair, and you manage to hit your overpair on the turn.

Now what I'm still struggling on is what to do if somebody raises. I'm generally folding, unless everybody folded to the button who raises, or unless I can close the betting heads-up with my call.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't particularly like it if my A or K falls and there's a load of action, and any or Q coming makes me feel worse.

[ QUOTE ]

I like how you played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree about not check/folding the flop. In this hand, do you bet out the turn? Check/call? What about the river?
Old 04-23-2005, 11:44 AM

i think i'd ck/call the turn, lead the river if one of my two overs hit or on most cards if the turn is ckd through, fold if turn is bet and i don't improve.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:53 AM

I bet this flop. Only two cards connect with this flop, so it's not unlikely you hold the best hand. Check / call turn (is this a WA/WB instance?), check / fold river.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:58 AM

I normally don't bet the flop here against loose-passives. In your case, I'd check the turn and lead the river most times if the turn is checked through. Checking the turn really scares most weak players, they fear you were pumping a flush draw or betting AQ, QQ.