Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 05:20 PM

Default 77 in CO - isolating the lag

MP seemed was a bit laggy, VP$IP > 40% and PFR around 20%. Pretty aggro post-flop but it was limited to betting unless he had a nice hand, I hadn't noticed him raising/reraising light. I had been on a bad run of cards and hadn't been in a lot of hands this session and he seemed to pay attention to when I played back at him.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

River: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Standard? From the previous hands I had been involved in I thought he might fold an 8 or Q to the raise.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: 77 in CO - isolating the lag

Given your description it is unlikely he will fold a Q even with the K falling. LAGs know an overcard is a bluff card, and you will be called down here if he has a Q. He might fold an 8 but again this would require a read that the player is capable of folding (or rather you have not seen him calling down with bits of the board HU).

A lot of LAGs know exactly what type of board players fold on and when to make bluff moves. They probably anticipate such moves from the tighter players as well. Raising for a free SD if you are determined to see this out is OK if you are prepared to fold to a 3-bet, you will also buy some calls later when you pull this move on him with the goods (he might even 3-bet you with an inferior hand in such spots).

Overall I think it is reasonable even though a fold is unlikely from anything but a hand you already beat; one of the keys to playing LAGs is to make some scratchy moves against them that you can SD. You want to stimulate the "WTF?" response to get some serious action later. As Peter_Rus pointed out a while back, LAGs really do not like it when players pull moves against them - they want to be the bully, forcing others to be more passive/fold. This is not a standard move, but well-timed you can get a lot of action on your better hands later, and there is still a very reasonable chance you are winning the hand.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:55 AM

haha

everybody loves this play. just raise the turn. well, just realize he is never flodling a better hand there. so if there is a chance he has ax and a draw then nice.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:19 AM

I really thought he could fold since he had in a couple of other hands I had been involved in but of course he wouldn't. This time he had A2o and MHIG.

You nailed how the session turned out afterwards. Good times. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]