Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many tables do you run?
1 6 5.41%
2 15 13.51%
3 14 12.61%
4 44 39.64%
6 12 10.81%
8 10 9.01%
10 3 2.70%
12 3 2.70%
14 1 0.90%
16 1 0.90%
17+ 2 1.80%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Poll: Where 2+2-ers are playing SSHE

[ QUOTE ]
I'll do it Meep. The party bonus I'll be clearing this weekend. I'll play NL25. However, what I've normally found is that I get crazy aggressive. I'm really quite clueless as to how to play the game properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually clear my bonuses playing games I never play, like PLO, NL, Stud, whatever. Just keeps it more fun, mixing it up.

I'd advise you to play pretty tight, if you get that crazy aggressive, but I think a good limit player would have to hit some really bad cards or be really really inappropriately aggressive to lose $100 in 1000 hands.

-d
Old 04-22-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd advise you to play pretty tight, if you get that crazy aggressive, but I think a good limit player would have to hit some really bad cards or be really really inappropriately aggressive to lose $100 in 1000 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I say really aggressive, I'm talking about the situation I spelled out in another reply in this thread about hitting TPTK with AK on a raggy, rainbow flop and it's checked to me....I'm ready to throw a large portion (if not all) of my chips in. I'm not sure what's right. That last couple of times I messed around with it, I tried to just play it basically like a limit game, but then I'm sure I'm losing the edge. I guess the thing to learn is how much to put it and when to do it.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are new to no limit, you should get Ciaffone and Reuben's Pot Limit and No Limit Poker book. It is excellent. One of the best poker books I've ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this book is very useful. However, it is slightly scatterbrained and sometimes hard to find the flow. When you do find the points he's making though, it's very good. I do wish it were a little longer though; only a portion of the book is dedicated to hold'em. Overall I'm glad I bought it, but I would've loved to see more in it.

Then there's SS/SS2 which obviously are great reads, but I don't think they are appropriate for Party up to at least 100/nl, haven't really ventured further. However, I played on Full Tilt for a while where the games are much tighter, and playing super-aggressive Doyle style worked very well for me there at 50/nl and 100/nl.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:52 PM

Don't throw your stack around like it's nothing -- you have to keep in mind what hands will call you, and offer them slightly incorrect odds.

Think in terms of pot-sized bets post flop, and multiple of BB raises pre-flop. Even with TPTK, i'm not inclined to call all-in against anything but a habitual bluffer. You can eek out a decent winrate in that game playing somewhat weak-tight.

Oh, and implied odds are so key. Free card plays still work, and often you have to ditch draws on the turn, unlike limit.

-d
Old 04-22-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't throw your stack around like it's nothing -- you have to keep in mind what hands will call you, and offer them slightly incorrect odds.

Think in terms of pot-sized bets post flop, and multiple of BB raises pre-flop. Even with TPTK, i'm not inclined to call all-in against anything but a habitual bluffer. You can eek out a decent winrate in that game playing somewhat weak-tight.

Oh, and implied odds are so key. Free card plays still work, and often you have to ditch draws on the turn, unlike limit.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah implied odds! I'm so happy for the day I learned what that meant.

In NL I'm more willing to call pre-flop raises with small connectors than with hands like AKo. People tend to back their overpair or tptk with their entire stack, so if you hit your miracle two-pair or trips, you double up. Granted you don't get this very often, but you only lose like a buck or two when you miss, and they lose their whole stack when you don't. However you have to dump top pair a lot when playing this way.

Also drawing for flushes generally sucks because the implied odds are pretty much nil; they see when you hit it. But I'll play any two cards that can make a straight (up to a certain price) because they don't see that at all.

Final note: I find that I get very confused when I rapidly switch between playing NL and limit. This didn't used to be a problem when I was a beginner and played NL and limit basically the same way, but now that my style for each has diverged so much from each other... When I try to play limit after playing NL, I have the inclination to play waaayyyyy too loose, and it's very hard to keep it under control. And when I switch from limit to NL, I am too timid and too straightforward. So right now I'm trying to put myself on some sort of bi-weekly schedule to rotate between the two. This might not be a problem for everyone, but I just wanted to mention that as something to keep in mind.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about! Do I go all in with AK and flop is a raggy, rainbow with an A? That type of stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends how deep the money is. That's the most important factor in a lot of NLHE decisions. If there is $100 in the pot already and you have $100 left, it's pretty much going in on that flop. If there is $100 in the pot and you have $5000 left, having it all go in on that flop when you have one pair is definitely bad for you.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the couple of quick tips here fellas...I've definitely a lot to learn so I'll need to get those books and start reading.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:29 PM

If you are going to buy the Ciaffone book, you might want to consider ordering directly from his site. He autographs the book and will answer your questions via email (I haven't taken advantage of that, so I can't comment on it) and he accepts neteller.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:38 PM

Thanks again! I'll do that and keep you posted.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:58 PM

Just talked to Bob on the phone and ordered the book.