Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Strategy Checkup

Alright Fellas,

So I was looking over my PT stats to see how I was doing. Using excessions autorate criteria (thanks man great work)

I am officially:
TA-A: VP$P = 23%, PFR = 12%, TOT-A = 1.98

Suh-weet!

So here is the problem that I'm having. I play mostly the 50NL tables at UB. I'm finding that people are afraid to play with me, I get too much respect for my post flop play so I take down a few small pots then lose a big pot because I'm still an idiot who doesn't like to be bullied around or a suck out. So I'm thinking about changing up my play to create more action for myself.

So I'm thinking about implementing one or both of the following strategies:

1. When I first sit down, buyin for less like $15 - $20 in a 50NL game and go nuts like a maniac. Play every hand be aggressive advertise then wehn I double up (rarely) or loose my buyin. Rebuy for the max and revert to my normal playing style now that I can get more action.

2. Buyin for the max like normal. Loosen up preflop with garbage and only got to the flop knowing that I'm going to release my garbage hand just to advertise that I'm weak-tight then switch gears to take advantage of aggressive reraises.

So here are my questions:

1. Which strategy do you prefer?

2. Do you have an other strategy that you can suggest that would create more action for me?

3. Which hands would be good hands to go crazy with in Strategy #1? Should it be complete garbage or should it be bad hands to play aggressively like Offsuited Broadway?

4. Same question as above for Strategy #2?

5. For Strategies #1 and #2, what positions should I be playing or should it not matter?

6. Anything else you can think of telling me....

Thanks all.

-Gryph
Old 04-22-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Strategy Checkup

i'm getting into NL myself. I say good luck getting people to respond the way you want them to. There is no recipe, practise, read a book or 3, and practise some more.

Felipe
Old 04-22-2005, 11:59 AM

ok, i'm rather new to poker and it might be -ev to take anything i have to say too seriously. but it would seem to me that playing like a maniac even at a reduced buy-in is a bad idea. you're going to have to win back the money you pissed away just to get even, and your opponents if they're paying attention (if they're not theres no point anyway) might realize when you start folding that you're no longer playing like a maniac. even your re-buying for a full stack may tip off some to pay attention to changes in your play.

i forget which book i read this in, but it advised not to worry about showing bluffs for advertising. just bluff when you think theres a good chance of success and when you're wrong the advertsing will work itself out.

so if you're never getting action when you raise, raise more often and win more pots. when they catch on and start giving you more action, then tighten up.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:16 PM

So you advocate Strategy #2...I think that is a save bet. But, what do you do this with? I have just started (i.e. last night) raising in LP with Suited Connectors and reraising on the flop in position when I sense weakness with some good success. I didn't play long enough to make this more profitable, but it was working.

I think I agree that Strategy #2 is better, but the only reason that I put Strategy #1 out there is because it is advocated by Paul Philips. He goes crazy for a few buyins to make a hugh money count and to make the table loosen up. I wanted to maybe try this strategy in a little safer mode by buying in short and going crazy, but like you said after my second buyin I'm starting at a loss. I think Strategy #1 works better in a live game because people don't get up an leave after they double up like they do online. I can't stand that...

Hey, swolfe, Ghaz, zaxx, come on guys any thoughts?

-Gryph
Old 04-22-2005, 12:48 PM

The way to move up win rates is to start targetting individual players when you make moves.

Example 1 - you are in BB - 2 players have limped. GT+ shows both of them play 25% and raise about 8% pre-flop. They likely have marginal junk or smallish pp - raise it up!

Example 2 - you are sitting having missed the flop -heads up with another guy. You are first to act. Check his WtSD% - if it's less than 25% making a move is a good idea - if he's he's some sort or uber-maniac or calling station then it would be a bad idea.

Example 3 - very tight disciplined player. Re-raises pre-flop. You call with smallish pair. Flop is junk but you miss. He bets 3/4 pot...check his WtSD% - if it's <15% and your stack is deep enough and your table image is tight enough you might be able to push the lot and get him to say 'you hit the set,huh, lucky' and fold.

Example 4 - you hit a hidden set and aren't sure how to extract best value - check the pfa's of opponents to see if you should check and let them bet at you

Example 5 - A very aggressive player witha short stack pushes all-in when you have a strong but not lock hand - check to see if he's a showdown muppet (has a really low W$SD) and if he has high aggression - if so it's probably worth a call..

Really once you get past the $50 tables you have to stop playing just the cards and start playing the players to optimise your win rate.
That's the strategy change you need, not faking maniac status for 15 minutes at each table..
Old 04-22-2005, 01:05 PM

First- I think excession's post is very good. Makes me realize I'm not utilizing pokertracker to its fullest.

Second- I DO think there's value to mixing up your game. I don't think its true to say your opponents never notice your play/image. People notice if you're a maniac, if you're supertight, if you have a huge stack, etc. I'm not big into bluffing with nothing. BUT, when I build up my stack, I'll raise with 5-8 suited in late position because (1) they know I'm tight and (2) my stack is intimidating - and they all fold. (At a loose table) I actually don't steal enough when I have a good image. I need to work on this.

I think loosening up in the beginning can work. The question I have is... how much do you have to keep it up (and possibly losing money all along) for it to be profitable? What if you loosen up, with the idea of switching gears... but when you switch gears, you get no cards? (am I the only one who thinks about this sort of thing?)

When you get too much respect, steal more. If the table is passive, you can limp more (this might be cheaper then going maniac) if only to show people you're playing less then premium hands.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First- I think excession's post is very good. Makes me realize I'm not utilizing pokertracker to its fullest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Great post good examples. The only problem with this is that I don't like to you things at the table that I can't have in a live game. Stupid, Stupid I know. I don't play poker for a living or part time. I do it because I love the game and I want to be a better live player. I think I'm getting over this because I think there is value to making more money...Duh... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Second- I DO think there's value to mixing up your game. I don't think its true to say your opponents never notice your play/image. People notice if you're a maniac, if you're supertight, if you have a huge stack, etc. I'm not big into bluffing with nothing. BUT, when I build up my stack, I'll raise with 5-8 suited in late position because (1) they know I'm tight and (2) my stack is intimidating - and they all fold. (At a loose table) I actually don't steal enough when I have a good image. I need to work on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I have just started to do this. I think this in conjunction with excessions pointers will make winrates go through the roof. Also I think I need to play more...

[ QUOTE ]

I think loosening up in the beginning can work. The question I have is... how much do you have to keep it up (and possibly losing money all along) for it to be profitable? What if you loosen up, with the idea of switching gears... but when you switch gears, you get no cards? (am I the only one who thinks about this sort of thing?)

[/ QUOTE ]

No. your not the only one who think about this, but think you just have to be patient and that the nature of the game. I was two tabling last night (because I can do more because I'm not good at multitasking) one table was going great but the other table I was playing only 10% of the flop WITH the SB/BB included.

[ QUOTE ]

When you get too much respect, steal more. If the table is passive, you can limp more (this might be cheaper then going maniac) if only to show people you're playing less then premium hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have to work on my selective aggression when I play at a table that respects my play. I tend to go too far with this. I dumped like 4 buyins with unbridled aggression and now is my cooling off period. I think I can start this back up now with more smarts.

Good Points.

-Gryph