Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Playing against a paired flop

Situation 1
[ QUOTE ]

Villain is UTG has $7.65.
Hero is Button has $15.20 with [8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]].

SB posts a blind of $0.05
BB posts a blind of $0.10
Villain raises to $0.20
UTG+1 folds
MP1 Redbird folds
MP2 calls $0.20
CO folds
Button calls $0.20
SB folds
BB calls $0.10

The flop is ($0.85) [A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
BB checks
Villain bets $0.30
MP2 folds
Hero raises to $0.60
BB folds
Villain calls $0.30

The turn is ($2.05) [3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Villain bets $0.50
Hero raises to $1
Villain raises all-in to $6.80
Hero folds

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure what I've been thinking, but I've lost more than a few hands recently playing the same way, in similar "second best" situations. I'm trying to test the field to see where I stand, thinking I'd rather put in the money and fold if I'm played back at. Villain just calls though, and now I don't know what to do on the turn...

Situation 2
[ QUOTE ]

Villain is Button has $4.25.
Hero is CO has $12.75 with [Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]].

BB posts a blind of $0.10
3 folds
MP1 calls $0.10
MP2 folds
Hero raises to $0.40
Villain calls $0.40
SB calls $0.35
BB calls $0.30
MP calls $0.30

The flop is ($2.00) [4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
SB checks
BB checks
MP1 checks
Hero bets $2
Villain calls $2
3 folds

The turn is ($6.00) [7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Hero is oop puts Villain all-in betting $1.45
Villain calls all-in $1.45

[/ QUOTE ]
Note in each of these I have Villain covered, and I think that may be effecting my decision poorly. Maybe that's the right way to look at it though...

Situation 3
[ QUOTE ]

Villain is UTG has $3.65.
Hero is MP2 has $9.85 with [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]].

BB posts the big blind of $0.10
Villain calls $0.10
UTG+1 calls $0.10
MP1 raises to $0.20
Hero calls $0.20
4 folds
Villain calls $0.10
UTG+1 calls $0.10

The flop is ($0.95) [6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain bets $0.25
UTG+1 folds
MP1 calls $0.25
Hero calls $0.25

The turn is ($1.70) [T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain bets $0.25
MP folds
Hero calls $0.25

The river is ($2.30) [6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Villain bets $2
Hero calls $2

[/ QUOTE ]
My general rule here is: if it's the low card that's paired on the flop, then I need a pocket-pair over the high card; if it's the high card paired on the flop, then I need a pocket-pair over the low card. Maybe I should revisit that though...

The obvious advice I suppose, is to save any plays for the turn. Or should I be check-calling down? Or should I be mucking them all? Sorry for the lack of reads, but I'm just getting the hang of multitabling. Any help/comments are appreciated.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Playing against a paired flop

Situation 1:

Preflop call is alright I guess. Flop isn't great for you. The preflp raiser could be making a continuation bet with a mediocre hand that totally missed. I guess the minraise is fine for a cheap showdown or to feel around, but once he calls and bets again on the turn you need to seriously consider raising big or folding. He bets again. I like a fold here. Your minraise isn't getting crap to fold. If he has an Ace you're drawing dead and he's never folding an Ace for another minraise.

Situation 2:

This hand seems fine. Personally I raise 4xBB + 1bb for each limper in the pot, so I'd make it $.50 preflop. No biggie, though. Just a tip. Flop is good for you. You can probably bet $1.50 maybe, but $2.00 works aswell. Ah, he only has $1.45 left. Well, put him in. You might've considered just putting him in on the flop.

Situation 3:

Preflop is fine. Flop is alright, but a raise might be good to define your hand. Turn is fine, I guess. River, I'd probably fold. I don't know, kinda player dependant.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Playing against a paired flop

Thanks for the input.

#1 I guess I just really didn't buy him having an Ace with that crappy betting pattern. It seemed like he didn't think it hit anyone and he'd see if his KQ hit. I don't think I was looking at it in the correct light though, and it definitely seems like Ace weak kicker.

#2 I usually raise to 4xBB+ but it's hard to keep people in these pots. Honestly a raise to .20 from anywhere can take it down more than it seems right. I should have put him in on the flop -- trying to extract as much as possible, but my bet was definitely wrong in that regard -- should have either been all in, or a $1.50.

#3 I think you're right here too. Should have folded the river, but was just confused by all that min-betting letting me in cheap up to that point. A $ raise earlier would have been better/cheaper.

I'll try to keep these in mind...