Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 PM

Default QQ

This is from "Middle Limit Holdem Poker" by Ciaffone and Brier

[ QUOTE ]
A $10-$20 game. You raise from middle position with the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] after two players limp in. The button, the big blind, and the two limpers call. There is $105 in the pot and five players. The flop is: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], giving you second pair. It is checked to you. What do you do?............"

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to put their answer and ask if you agree, instead....what would you do? Thanks..........
Old 04-21-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: QQ

[ QUOTE ]
This is from "Middle Limit Holdem Poker" by Ciaffone and Brier

[ QUOTE ]
A $10-$20 game. You raise from middle position with the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] after two players limp in. The button, the big blind, and the two limpers call. There is $105 in the pot and five players. The flop is: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], giving you second pair. It is checked to you. What do you do?............"

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to put their answer and ask if you agree, instead....what would you do? Thanks..........

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet.

there's a flush draw out there, and while you dont really have overcards to fear (only an ace), there are enough low card straight draws and club draws that you need to charge for the turn. there's 10sbs in the pot and although they are correct to call for a gutshot/inside straight draw, you need to charge them (theres a counter argument to this later)

now if you check, you can be bet into on the turn and may have to fold if its a club or be forced to pay 2bbs to call down when you can bet the flop and turn and fold to a c'r spending 1.5bbs to find out the same info while protecting your hand at the same time...

now the counter argument to betting to charge the draws is that by checking and then betting the turn, you are making those same draws make a mistake (after you made a catastrophic mistake had they folded to your bet) by calling a double sized bet now with improper odds.

personally, i like a bet.

-Barron
Old 04-21-2005, 07:45 PM

bet, and fold if anyone raises...if it isn't folded to you, then someone has a K-10 or KJ, or possibly a strong flush draw. if your queen was of clubs i would say stick around but you don't really have any draws and they won't hold up unimproved. (usually) [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 08:20 PM

Yeah...I thought it was an easy bet. Only one player behind you...try to get him out as well as make draws pay. Easily give up if you get CR or there is action on the turn. The book says to check...but I didn't think that was best. I wanted to see what others thought.