Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 11:12 PM

Default This Didn\'t Feel Right

Quite aggressive six-handed game. I have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG. I raise. Folded to a player on an absolute mega-rush in this game...up like 20k, playing and raising many hands. He reraises. A quite good, but extremely aggro player on the button makes it 4 bets. He often is (to me anyway) too aggro preflop, but plays very well postflop usually. The small blind calls cold, the bb drops, I call and the initial 3-bettor calls. Flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB checks, I bet, guy on a rush calls, button calls, SB calls. The turn is the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB checks, I check, everyone checks. The river is the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB checks, I check, rush guy checks, button bets, I call, everyone else folds. Comments?

Jeff
Old 04-20-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: This Didn\'t Feel Right

Interesting hand, it seems like button would have raised the flop with JJ so I think you won this one. Not sure if you can play it any other way though. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 01:33 AM

Given your player description, I think you need to bet the turn. Getting raised really isn't that bad because the pot is so large, and you can fold unimproved on the river in that case.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:51 AM

Bet the turn, if you get reraised fold, if your called bet the river aswell. Looking at flush draws and maybe trips. The bet on the turn removes the chasers (hopefully).
Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 AM

How can I bet that turn card when all 4 people called the flop? It seems unlikely they all have AK or draws, etc. You have the benefit of seeing what happened on the river. I have a feeling if I posted the hand w/o the river, few would advocate betting.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2005, 10:09 AM

Default RESULTS

Ok, I guess this wasn't that interesting. My opponent showed 66 and I won the pot. More comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-21-2005, 02:56 PM

What didn't feel right about the hand? The turn check?

I don't agree with the people who say to bet this turn and fold to a raise. You already said the game is over-aggressive, so players are much more likely to make moves on the turn in these type of games. You said the rusher was up 20k so the stakes must be pretty high (in the 100/200 range at least IMO). This makes it even more likely that people will try to raise the turn with less in hopes to fold people out.

I could see you taking the line of: bet the turn, call one raise, and call on the river unless a real scary card hits. However this line just kills you when you are behind. I'd much rather see the river for 1 or 2 bets if I'm behind (rather than 3 or 4 bets). You also will induce bluffs/overcalls on the river when the turn gets checked through and you check/bet on the river.

I also like the check from the point of view of position. You have two opponents acting after you and you will get to see if anyone was sandbagging the flop before you make your decision. Judging by the way the hand was played, I'd say they either have a monster hand, or low pocket pairs/suited connectors. Maybe you can even check raise the over-aggressive button player if he bets, and get it heads up with him.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the response. It was a 100-200 game. I didn't want to bet the turn because I wasn't confident in my ability to fold to a raise esp. if the button raised it. I was kind of surprised my opponent bet the river in this hand because if I'm beating that hand I'm definitely calling and I'm not calling with less that 66. With his style of play, I'm actually shocked he didn't bet the turn. If he bet the turn and river, I have a tough call on the end.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2005, 05:32 PM

I like it. Your turn check gives you the option of folding if to many are still involved and can induce a river bluff from a single opponent. If raised on the turn you have a very tough decision because of the size of the pot.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:18 PM

My advice: don't play 99 UTG in an ultra aggressive game. I know it's tempting in a 6-handed game, but.... I would want position with that hand when I know my opponents are going to test me.

GL, Stacks