Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: I think i really botched this AQs hand

Flop - I think waiting until the turn is a good line given the coordination on the board. Raising would't be bad here either as I think it could increase your chances of winning just slightly by getting rid of the button.

Turn - Everyone calling BB's raise gives me the feeling that top pair isn't winning this pot. I think a good case can be made for folding - but given the size of the pot (and depending on your read on the opponents) calling may be an ok line. The possiblilty of SB 3-betting leans me toward folding.

River - I just call the raise and hope for an overcall from the button.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to be clear, raising the flop is definitely +EV but in some circumstances waiting for the turn is more EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

The two hearts and the gadgillion callers between makes the value you can get on 3rd too great to wait till the turn, IMO. 9 hearts and even 3 kings put you in bad shape on the turn.
Edited: I don't see any value in waiting till the turn here, actually. I don't think that your hand is excessively vulnerable or unbreakable although verystrong. In a big multiway pot, I think not betting here is a giant mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
but if we change Hero's hand to 55, do we still raise this flop or wait for the safe turn card to raise a big street?

[/ QUOTE ]

Still too tricky. Why do you assume that you can win more bets by waiting till the turn rather than betting the flop?
Old 04-21-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: not to hijack Hero\'s thread here...

[ QUOTE ]
but if we change Hero's hand to 55, do we still raise this flop or wait for the safe turn card to raise a big street?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, that's the time I wait for the turn. With nothing less than a set do I wait. Two pair on the flop is too vulnerable.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Still too tricky. Why do you assume that you can win more bets by waiting till the turn rather than betting the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean raising the flop? If you raise the flop, do you think ppl will keep betting into you if they don't improve on the turn? they'll probably check/call or check/fold.

if you call the flop, you're likely to get at least a few bettors & callers on the turn, which you can raise or 3-bet (if safe).
Old 04-21-2005, 03:53 PM

You have already stated the opinion I have on this hand. I don't like the flop call because of the 2 reasons you give, 1) you miss the value bet and 2)the cheap raise to define hands. On the river I probably just call and put UTG+1 on KJ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. You know what you should have done, just do it next time.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just to be clear, raising the flop is definitely +EV but in some circumstances waiting for the turn is more EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

The two hearts and the gadgillion callers between makes the value you can get on 3rd too great to wait till the turn, IMO. 9 hearts and even 3 kings put you in bad shape on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thinking here is flawed. Raising the flop doesn't make it less likely that you'll hit 9 hearts or 3 Kings on the turn.