Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: I got checkraised twice

[ QUOTE ]
I always like to look at these things from the other player's point of view.

Hand 1: I'm calling a raise, out of position in what is going to be HU play. I'm probably on a high-ish pair, maybe suited paint. I see the flop and get some piece of it (or figure I still have the best hand). I'm pretty sure the PF raiser is going to bet, so I figure it's a good time for a check-raise. He bets, I raise...I'm pretty sure I have him beat. So, yeah, you should fold it here.

I agree that AK is hard to play, but it gets easier if you accept the fact that (depending on table read/position/relative position) you're going to have to fold it when the flop misses you, I think you're on the right track.

Hand 2: I'm in the SB, there are three people in ahead of me and I can complete and feel pretty sure the BB will check. I do so and see a cheap flop, which hits me pretty well so I bet out at it, figuring that if I make my draw on the turn I'll be in good shape for a C/R...which is exactly what happens. You should fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but seeing what from the other's point of view? what are you holding? they don't play like you, so you have to have some basis of putting them on a hand and what actions they like to do with certain hands.

Hand #1: he hasn't played many hands- tight player preflop, but we have no basis for his postflop play much less his HU play. maybe he's watched you and thinks you're tight and easy push off, who knows.

Hand #2: while i agree fold, what if he's not drawing. maybe he has A8 or 83. will he bet a straight draw? or maybe he has trips and decides to play this way.

your analysis doesn't allow for a range of hands but seems to say, "this is the hand i think he has, this is the way i'd play that hand, and since he played it that way, that's what he must have".
Old 04-21-2005, 11:25 AM

How about a flop fold in hand 2?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always like to look at these things from the other player's point of view.

Hand 1: I'm calling a raise, out of position in what is going to be HU play. I'm probably on a high-ish pair, maybe suited paint. I see the flop and get some piece of it (or figure I still have the best hand). I'm pretty sure the PF raiser is going to bet, so I figure it's a good time for a check-raise. He bets, I raise...I'm pretty sure I have him beat. So, yeah, you should fold it here.

I agree that AK is hard to play, but it gets easier if you accept the fact that (depending on table read/position/relative position) you're going to have to fold it when the flop misses you, I think you're on the right track.

Hand 2: I'm in the SB, there are three people in ahead of me and I can complete and feel pretty sure the BB will check. I do so and see a cheap flop, which hits me pretty well so I bet out at it, figuring that if I make my draw on the turn I'll be in good shape for a C/R...which is exactly what happens. You should fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more likely villian was thinking "let me take a bluff at this on the flop" in Hand #1. Either that or he has A,8. Chosing to continue with AK is certainly situational, but J,J,8 is a pretty good flop for AK when you're playing HU. Calling the C/R and folding the turn without a read here is terrible.
I can't quibble with your Hand #2 analysis. I've never come across anybody who trap c/r'd anything but a monster into a large field.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:30 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. That's a very coordinated board and our hand is on the bottom side of marginal.

[ QUOTE ]
How about a flop fold in hand 2?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-21-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yeah, but seeing what from the other's point of view? what are you holding? they don't play like you, so you have to have some basis of putting them on a hand and what actions they like to do with certain hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I get your point. I guess the only thing I would say in this case is that I don't have any indication that they don't play like me. I would tend to, when having very little info on a player's style, probably lean towards assuming they know what they're doing. Given that, I would put this guy on a limited range of hands, i.e. mid-to-high pairs or high suited cards.

That said, one of the things I'm trying to reconcile for my own play is balancing reads on other players with math of the hand when making decisions. I tend to give more credit to the hand math than I do to my reads, in part because I'm not confident I'm that good at reading people yet and in part because (to paraphrase WLLHE) "Even maniacs get KK once in a while".
Old 04-21-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Results

Looking at the hand, I was wondering the same thing, so I looked if I had any other notes on the player, and I had 'bet/call KJ on 89Q, check/call 8 turn'. Sorry about leaving that out earlier, I forgot I had that.

As for the results, I folded in hand 1, although thinking about it more I like a call better due to pot/implied odds. I can't convince myself yet to call AK to showdown unimproved yet, if I do I'm the one betting.

For hand 2, I tried raising to protect against overcards, but that didn't work out too well. The 8 didn't seem like a scare card, so I tried again and we see how that turned out. I folded here as well, MP1 called and folded a 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] river to SB's bet. In a later hand, SB took the exact same line in this hand (from SB coincidentally) with a flopped straight, so it seems 53/75 is most likely.