Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 05:34 PM

Default 2 shortstacks all in, I have JJ...call?

this is my first post on this board, so plz let me know if I have left anything out. It's mid-way through the field and I have about 9,100 in chips and was moved to a new table, blinds are 50/100, I am sitting on JJ right before the button 9 handed, the first guy folds, all in(695), next 2 fold, another guy goes all in(1,695), then to me with JJ. I was thinking about going all in for 9,100 to block out the button and the blinds, but I figured if the guy before me calls he must have something better than JJ. I folded and the rest fold, shortstack has A7o and the caller has A10o and ends up knocking the guy out with a pair of tens. I was kicking myself because that could have been an extra 2,500 or so in chips, but I ended up in tenth place. What would you do in this situation? Do you take risks early on in order to gain chips and knock people out, or was the better decision to play it safe?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: 2 shortstacks all in, I have JJ...call?

I think you have to at least make the call if not reraise to isolate. You are putting a small amount of chips at risk against hands that you very frequently will be dominating. I wouldnt even consider this risk taking with the size of your stack.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:20 PM

You have so many chips(91xBB) that you can stand putting 1700 chips in jeopardy and not think twice about it. If you call and lose, you still have 74BB, if you call and win, you now have 116BB. I think the increase to your stack is so much more important than the loss in this situation.

Gavin
Old 04-19-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the increase to your stack is so much more important than the loss in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 PM

Welcome aboard.

Do not give results until later, do not complain about results. Ok, lets get down to business [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Your calling T1,695 to win T2,390. The pot offers you 1.4 for your money. You have a premium hand. If you lose you reduce your stack to T7,405. With the blinds T50-T100 you can afford to "gamble" here.

Lets talk this through about the possible hands of your opponents and I can further demonstrate why a call will show a profit in this spot.

I want to say players started this tournament with T2000 or T5000 in chips. Include that in your next post. Since the first all in has a short stack, can put him on a lot of hands. He can have A high,K high, two overs suited connectors or a small pair.

The next player has T1695. He wants to call the all in player because hes getting a good price, however he has a hand that does better heads up. He decides to go all in to knock out anyone behind him with a decent hand. What range of hands can he have? Well lets say player one does have some kind of Ace. Player two can have a better Ace or a pair. If he had a big pair, most players would not go all in, they would make a decent reraise. So he has a small pair or a big Ace. If they both have Aces, they have need two aces to beat you. You are ahead of everything but AA KK or QQ.

In this spot I gamble.

Poster 2005 made an excellent point in his post. You have too many chips not to gamble.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:45 PM

thanks for the help and i will modify the way i present the information in future posts. btw, this site is awesome, the forum has helped a lot, i am stil down a little but I have just gotten some sklansky books, so with the help of this board and the books I can hopefully improve my game enough to win $$$ consistently.

thanx again
Old 04-20-2005, 07:45 PM

...dude,you can't get off the hook that easy. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

What range of hands did your opponents have that caused you to fold. Order Gambling Theory and Other Topics. This book will teach you the underlying gambling theory that goes along with poker. You will realize that you had an excellent gambling situation. You will also learn about weighting and non weighting strategies.