Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Straightforward hand? I thought so...

[ QUOTE ]
That might be a discussion onto itself. From my point of view, if you're good enough to lay down TT after the raise, it's a pretty good raise. I'm just surprised that he re-raised me, considering I had raised out of EP... but then folding is pretty weak, and it seems like he raised roughly the right amount against AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

He raised the wrong amount against AK if he's folding when you push preflop with it.

Eric
Old 04-19-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never let my stack get that short at a cash game, but maybe he has some secret professional strategy of which I'm not aware.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Tommy Angelo wrote an excellent post regarding how big a stack you should have at an NL game. The gist of it is, ideally you want to be even with players worse than you, and not even with players better than you (if you can help it).

My thinking is that he was initially just feeling out the table.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, Tommy Angelo wrote an excellent post regarding how big a stack you should have at an NL game. The gist of it is, ideally you want to be even with players worse than you, and not even with players better than you (if you can help it).

My thinking is that he was initially just feeling out the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he need to do that if he's a professional? If he's the best one at the table then he should have the most chips possible. Period. Even according to Tommy's post. If he's bad, he'd want to be pushing with TT in that situation to avoid that pesky thing called "playing poker."

Eric
Old 04-19-2005, 09:25 PM

Don't get me wrong... I agree with most of what you said. But when I analyze his play, assuming he made a certain read before raising, and assuming he made another one before folding (which happened to be correct), his play was correct.

What do you do with TT in that position? Clearly you're right in saying that he could have played any two in a similar fashion.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does he need to do that if he's a professional? If he's the best one at the table then he should have the most chips possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point.

[ QUOTE ]
If he's bad, he'd want to be pushing with TT in that situation to avoid that pesky thing called "playing poker."

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't he be guaranteed of only being called by a better hand in that case? Didn't he just save $60 by not pushing? Didn't he also help his meta-game by showing that he was capable of folding with half his stack in the pot? (I think this is a good image to have at a long-handed table.)
Old 04-19-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong... I agree with most of what you said. But when I analyze his play, assuming he made a certain read before raising, and assuming he made another one before folding (which happened to be correct), his play was correct.

What do you do with TT in that position? Clearly you're right in saying that he could have played any two in a similar fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're that short, I think only pushing or calling with TT is right. Any raise that isn't all in just seems like I'd have an awkward amount of chips left (like half the pot in this case). I would probably just call (since I had position) and see a flop, and play it by feel afterwards.

Eric
Old 04-19-2005, 09:42 PM

As to your first point:

You're being too results oriented. The fact that you had KK in this case is immaterial as to whether or not a call is correct.

As to your second point:

Anyone good enough to care about meta-game considerations at that game (of which there are very few, I would think) already know him quite well if he's a local legend.

Eric
Old 04-19-2005, 11:18 PM

This thread is awesome.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:30 PM

I've read the rest of the thread, and this guy is the douche. Let's say you have AK, and don't believe he has a PP (or think that you are 50% or so against his range). Why just call here? What if an A/K flops? You get no action. What if it doesn't? You have to fold to his auto-push.

The right way to play overcards to his TT here is to push, and so his play is horrible. It's obvious why he bought to the max after this - because he realized everyone at the table only needed to effectively min-raise him PF and he would fold. Sounds like something I would do with 67s against this moron.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:45 AM

your biggest error in the hand was preflop. as soon as you notice justin moore at your table, you should automuck and demand an immediate table change. you do not want to be playing with justin moore.

but on with the analysis:
i like your initial raise with KK since you decided to play it at a table when justin moore is in the hand. hopefully he won't notice, or will get a terrible hand and fold. but no hand is too bad, too low, too unconnect, too off-suited for justin moore to play for a raise. so he decides to enter the pot.

i would strongly consider mucking here as soon as he shows interest.

since he decides to re-raise you here, he either has one of two things: a hand that beats your (aces), or a hand that doesn't. if you set him all in here, he will call with the hand that beats you and fold the ones that lose. since you will not get action from a worse hand, i suggest mucking again.

setting him all in allows him to fold even though he would be getting calling 60 more for a 255 dollar pot, which would be correct if you were to do this and be holding AK 15% of the time.

muck at every possible opportunity, request a table change, and be happy you didn't have Aces, aka Pocket Bullitos. because if there is one thing a pro like justin moore loves to do, it is to stack people off that are holding aces. for 125 dollars.