Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Straightforward hand? I thought so...

Bally's 2-5NL, quite possibly the first time those stakes were ever spread there...

I'm in EP with black kings, and I make the standard raise to $25, with about $500 behind. I had sat down two orbits ago, had played a few hands, and had played them aggressively after the flop. I believe this was my first preflop raise. Folds to the cutoff, who raised to $65, with another $60 or so behind. Earlier, the villain had raised all-in on the button with pocket tens.

You're in my position. What do you do?

(This seems like a pretty basic play to me, but a while after the hand, the guy criticized me about how I played it. He turned out to be Justin Moore, who's supposed to be some type of bigshot, which is why I even posted this; anyone heard of him? He played very well, and made some really good laydowns, showing each time. Anyways, I'll explain the outcome later, as well as the reasoning behind my play.)
Old 04-19-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Straightforward hand? I thought so...

I'd push btf and say, "it's probably a coin-flip". Although smooth-calling his pf raise and pushing/check-calling on the flop isn't too bad, either.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:58 PM

Push pre.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:05 PM

WOW. tough, tough spot...
Old 04-19-2005, 08:15 PM

C'mon man... I already said I thought it was an easy decision. I just want to see how many people agree with the villain, and why.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:16 PM

I play at Bally's most weekends, and I know most of the regulars. FWIW, I've never heard of Justin Moore. By the way, that 2/5 game has been spread Fridays and Saturdays for the last 2 months or so. Great game.

To the hand, I push without a second thought. I'm guessing he instacalled with AA and you sucked out at some point. Then he told you that you should have suspected AA because he didn't push. Then you laughed as you stacked his chips.

Eric
Old 04-19-2005, 08:20 PM

You didn't happen to play this past Sunday, did you? Anyways, the reason I thought it might have been the first time for 2-5NL was that none of the dealers had dealt it, and they all thought it was new. Also www.allvegaspoker.com only lists 1-2NL at Bally's. (Pretty nice site... check it out.)
Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 PM

I'm talking about Bally's AC, you must be talking about Bally's Vegas. That would explain why I've never heard of your boy. I apologize for the mixup. Still, pushing preflop is the way to go I think.

Eric
Old 04-19-2005, 08:32 PM

Ah yeah, I guess I should've made that distinction in my first post. Anyways, I pushed pre (seemed pretty obvious to me), and he mucked, saying he had TT (I believe him). He then said I should have smooth called.

I've thought about this, and I don't really agree with the smooth call. Obviously any A or K flopped kills my action (he's shown he can make good laydowns), and I don't want to see a 10, J, or Q on the flop (I put him on either TT, JJ, QQ). That's 16 cards in the deck that I don't want to see on the flop.

Basically, the only sure flop in which I take the rest of his stack is an undercard flop, or a flop with KTx, right? How is smooth calling a good move, especially when he only has $60 left?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:41 PM

So he raised half his stack preflop with TT and then folded when you raised him for the rest? Sounds like a real pro to me . . .

I have to say I don't believe he folded TT there. If he did, it's a horrible fold. If he was planning to fold to a push after putting half his stack in why make the raise in the first place?

Eric