Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: All in before the flop. Didn\'t need to be.

OK -- I apologize for intruding on your little enclave.

Your attitude will not stop me from asking questions and seeking information.

And it might give you high blood pressure or heart disease.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:16 PM

I do not get mad
at posts on the Internet
and this is funny

Just keep in mind that
if you get scared too much
you will lose money

No big deal, really
I get entertainment from
some bad beat posts, too

Where else can I
half-troll some very angry
clueless newbie now?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Trollin\' trollin\' trollin\' - Keep those posts a-trollin\'. TROLL ON!!

[ QUOTE ]
I do not get mad
at posts on the Internet
and this is funny

Just keep in mind that
if you get scared too much
you will lose money

No big deal, really
I get entertainment from
some bad beat posts, too

Where else can I
half-troll some very angry
clueless newbie now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-19-2005, 02:19 AM

Here's my two cents on this subject. Making money in poker is about pushing small edges, the bigger the edge the more EV you have. With AA, in the long run if you push in a ring game and get called a fair percentage of the time, you're going to be well in the green. In a tournament the risk/reward ratio is different and as such your approach to how you play premium hands SHOULD be different. You can't reach back into your pockets and find more chips (well...). Ok, you know all this of course, so why am I saying it? Look again at YOUR specific situation and considering that everyone EXCEPT for one person had you covered (everyone was 1/4 stacked), wouldn't it be ideal to push a quarter of your stack instead? If you get called by the smaller stack then you're achieving your goal. You've narrowed the field in which you're going to be the favorite. The one person you didn't want to call called you and nailed the flop. Would you still have lost your stack after the flop in this situation? Quite possibly. You'd be quite pot committed at this point, and barring horrible post flop play by your opponent in this situation you'd probably be sunk, BUT you'd have SOME chance of escaping with a portion of your stack versus none. PLUS with a quarter stack raise into a big stack you MAY encourage action with even more marginal premium hands where you'd be an even bigger favorite.

I know the motto of on-line tournament players is push-in, push-in with the edge, but I think in the long run the small edges that allow you to consistently get into the money come from evaluating your table situation thoroughly before you go all-in with premium hands.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:33 AM

Jesus, who doesn't want to be all in with AA v QQ pf? Are you really serious? Who cares what cards came out. You got yourself into an extremely favorable situation, why question your play?

Posts like these are dumb, I mean step back and look at it. This guy is seriously asking wether he misplayed or not when he got all in pf with AA. WTF?!
Old 04-19-2005, 04:50 AM

If I understand your line of reasoning right you're suggesting you should avoid pushing as a heavy favourite vs a bigger stack later into a tourney if you already have a decent sized stack (say more than 2 times the average).

Wouldnt raising normally and then getting reraised give you a little more information? Not to mention the times you'll be able to get away from the hand because the flop comes and you know you're beat.

And also wouldnt a normal raise give you better pot odds to call a reraise or a bigger stacks push if in the process you make a smaller stack also call.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When he has QQ and you have aces with those chip stacks and blinds, you lose the most EV when he sees a flop with most of his stack not in the middle - and not even because he can flop a Q. (Rather, it's when the flop comes Kxx or Axx, he folds, and you miss out on a very easy doubleup.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the essence of it.

[My post was crap]