Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Ok, so I lead, now what?

[ QUOTE ]
C is interesting. I normally just reraise allin, but im starting to think that that's a really lazy and probly suboptimal line. swolfe, if C is ur standard line here how often do you whiff the turn? i would imagine a good amount? do you just accept that risk? and what about callin and leading the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

the only real draw is a gutshot here, and not many players would make a pot-sized semi-bluff raise with 4 outs. i'm either well ahead of a one/two pair hand (in which case giving the free card on the turn isn't too risky), or i'm way behind a higher set (in which case, i'm screwed). i don't want to push here and risk AQ finding a fold.

i prefer to check-raise the turn because it gives the hands i crush a chance to "bluff" at me again and further pot-commit themselves. if they check it through, i lead the river and will make/lose just as much as if i had raised the flop.

this all assumes the board doesn't do any crazy things on the turn or river. it is a little bit riskier, but more optimal against a hand that would pot raise this flop.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Leading into PFR w/ flopped sets?

[ QUOTE ]

How much are you gonna get from KK or JJ on a flop with an ace anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

One bet. It's better than nothing.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that because you want to(and can) pot commit short stack but you can't do that against a big stack as the size of your check raise would have to be massive making the only call from an overset?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Also, in this hand, I might overbet the pot on the flop. It depends on how play has been up to that point. If I think I seem aggressive, I want to come off as, 'You wanna steal my blinds!!?!?!?! I'll show you.'

Poker alot of times is a pissing contest between between egomaniacal, testerone raging men. I love taking advantage of this.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One bet. It's better than nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No actually its bad bc the CR will lose you MUCH more from a hand with an ace in it, than you stand to make by PERHAPS sandbagging and getting a small bet from an underpair.

Plus you should be playing aggressivel enough that KK might
occasionally take a shot at raising a weakish lead anyway...which of course will be more than one little small pot stab.

When you flop a set on that board you should really be tyhinking of how to stack someone not how to get one bet thats "better then nothing".
Old 04-19-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on jacks. Check-raise, then play accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great read Mike
Old 04-19-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Ok, so I lead, now what?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everyone for your inputs.

In the hand, I lead for $8. What do I do if he:
A) Calls
B) min.raises
C) pot-raises to $35-ish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good lead, that's how you should play this on this board because he likely hit it and if not, well you're not getting paid much anyways. It's all been said already, but this is usually the best line depending on the opponent. If he just calls you should make your standard lead on the turn, 3/4 to a full pot. If he raises, either min, or pot, its a pretty strong play. If you call and lead the turn in either scenario, you're getting a good portion of his stack in on the turn if not all of it. If he can raise the flop its unlikely he'll lay down the turn at this level. I like a stop and go, leading about 3/4 pot on a min raise, and between 1/2 and 3/4 on a pot raise.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No actually its bad bc the CR will lose you MUCH more from a hand with an ace in it, than you stand to make by PERHAPS sandbagging and getting a small bet from an underpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think most people will fold AK or AQ to a checkraise on the flop. Sure, you'll lose AJ, but I don't think you would make a lot off AJ anyway. Checkraising the flop inflates the pot more than leading out does, unless villian has AQ or a set and raises your bet. You want the pot to be big so you can stack yourself or your opponent (hopefully your opponent).
Old 04-19-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put him on jacks. Check-raise, then play accordingly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great read Mike

[/ QUOTE ]
lol.

I made this post in my sleep this morning. I apologize to all.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:57 PM

do you bet when you figure he misses the flop?

example, preflop raise. you call with suited connector out of big blinds.

flop comes all rags, do you bet in to him occasionally with nothing to try to fold his over cards?

if so, you should bet in to him more with sets as it disguises the set.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think most people will fold AK or AQ to a checkraise on the flop. Sure, you'll lose AJ, but I don't think you would make a lot off AJ anyway. Checkraising the flop inflates the pot more than leading out does, unless villian has AQ or a set and raises your bet. You want the pot to be big so you can stack yourself or your opponent (hopefully your opponent).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow there are so many things wrong with the post and im too lazy to list them.

The funniest has to be is that you arent worried about losing cash AJ might contribute....but before you are talking about not wanting to lose money from a continuation bet from KK or JJ....ya, that makes tons of sense.

2+2 is a trip sometimes. LEAD THIS FLOP.