Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 02:23 PM

Default leaving poker at the table

I've been playing poker full time since the begining of the year. I'm also having a relatively successful year and have a good understand of statistics, varience, luck and the swings that will occur. However, I find that i'm having a hard time leaving my poker thoughts at the table and i'm finding that poker is consuming a large part of my mental energy away from the table. I work out fairly often (3-4 days a week) and have a pretty good social life. I would also like responses that dont' tell me to take time off.
I do play 4-6 hours a day every day. I am looking for strategies on how to clear my mind and help me lead a normal life away from the table instead of fixating on poker thoughts when i'm at the gym or dinner with my girlfriend or trying to fall asleep.

thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: leaving poker at the table

You already know the answer...

[ QUOTE ]
I would also like responses that dont' tell me to take time off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-19-2005, 03:11 PM

is your play live, online or a mix of both?

what exactly are most of your poker thoughts about specifically?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:13 PM

maybe find a hobby? I often think about other stuff (poker, work, music, etc) while at the gym because it doesn't really take a lot of mental energy.

maybe learn to play an instrument or play a sport or something like that. find something that you can direct your mental energies towards.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:34 PM

Frankly, the best poker players I know think about poker constantly away from the table. That's not to say that you can't be a pro and have a life, but you should realize poker will be a huge part of it. You are always going to want to improve, which means thinking about hands you played, reading/posting here, studying, talking to others about the game, etc. I'm not a pro (but do play for a significant amount of my income). I think about poker almost 24-7. But I still make myself do other things so my life has balance (go out to bars, movies, see family, etc.).

Jeff
Old 04-19-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also like responses that dont' tell me to take time off.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you ask for help and then tell us you don't actually want any. Would you also like us to tell you how to lose weight without eating less or excercising more?

SpaceAce
Old 04-19-2005, 07:06 PM

Not going to happen while you still play everyday 4-6 hours. On top of being something that is like a job, its' also pleasureful and entertaining.

I recommend practicing Zazen for 1/2 hour each day, it will allow you to empty your mind and probably even improve your game.

Btw, where do you play?

Boris R.
NYC Poker League
http://www.TheLeagueNY.com
Old 04-19-2005, 07:25 PM

Practice some relaxation techniques before you sit down to play and after you're done playing for the day. With some practice you'll probably be able to resume your focus on things other than poker after fifteen minutes or so.

However, like someone said earlier the best players never leave the table mentally. Personally, I love having something to think about besides whatever program I'm working on when I'm bored at dinner or waiting for the bus or whatever.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is your play live, online or a mix of both?

what exactly are most of your poker thoughts about specifically?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play online and haven't played live in about 6 months. I'm generally more consumed with thoughts after a losing day and a lot of them concern going over hands that i took the worst beats on in my head. even if i feel confident that I made the right decisions on each street. I also find myself thinking about where I am on the day/month/and year financially.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:54 PM

i have a few hobbies. I play squash about 2-3 times a week and take a yoga class about 3-4 times a week. i'm pretty clear headed during the squash since i'm being physically active but during the more quiet moments of the yoga the poker creeps in.