Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Ok, so I lead, now what?

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

In the hand, I lead for $8. What do I do if he:
A) Calls
B) min.raises
C) pot-raises to $35-ish?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Leading into PFR w/ flopped sets?

I agree the hand rage against an opponent with what looks like TAG stats here is probably pretty big, especially with the CO posting then checking. It's a good time to try and pick up some quick cash and maintain an aggro image.

But I think I would lead into him here since he is so agressive on the flop. I think it's worth it to loose the continuation bet against his missed hands to build the pot against hands where he might have caught something. Since he is so agressive he might even raise you with nothing since he might think you are just trying to take the pot down against his possible pre-flop steal.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Ok, so I lead, now what?

[ QUOTE ]

A) Calls
B) min.raises

[/ QUOTE ]

A) I bet again on the turn 3/4 pot
B) I pot re-raise
C) call, and check-raise the turn

B pisses me off [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2005, 03:22 PM

A) If he calls, check the turn and show weakness he'll most likely bet and then you can reraise and hopefully get all the chips in the middle.

B) If he min raises, I come back over the top. If you bet half the pot, $6, and he min raises to $12, then I make it $24 and try to get him to committ. If you just call and check the turn he most likely checks behind you on some sort of draw.

C)If he pot raises, I'm getting my chips in. AA and QQ are probably slow playing this flop. You're probably against a decent ace and about to get paid off.

If he beats you with set over set there's not much you can do except rebuy and hopefully get luckier next time.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong: Also, if he hit, a check-raise from me probably indicates more strength than if I lead and call his raise, which will come if he hit the A. And I don't want to indicate too much strenght, do I?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he hit, he'll probably call your check raise anyway. People who steal the blinds a lot are on the look out for people playing back at them, and assuming he does have a hand like AK, he may call you down just because he doesn't wanna get bluffed out. Paranoia may pay you off.

I think the amount of times you catch a continuation bet from a trash hand far outweigh the times you catch an ace that will pay you off if you lead.

Leading from the SB after calling this raise preflop also looks pretty strong. I don't think you're gonna get away from representing strength very easily unless you can pick up on some nuances from this guy.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:42 PM

I like checkraising the flop. If you lead out, KK and JJ are gone and you get nothing from them. AK may flat call if you lead out, whereas if you checkraised, the pot would be a lot bigger and you could get it all-in on the turn.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like checkraising the flop. If you lead out, KK and JJ are gone and you get nothing from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much are you gonna get from KK or JJ on a flop with an ace anyway?

You simply arent going to stack people who hold underpairs...i mean minus the times someone with KK just gets fed up and donks out.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I think I would lead into him here since he is so agressive on the flop. I think it's worth it to loose the continuation bet against his missed hands to build the pot against hands where he might have caught something. Since he is so agressive he might even raise you with nothing since he might think you are just trying to take the pot down against his possible pre-flop steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a good point. I can buy that. I guess it's a pretty player dependent spot all things considered.

KoW
Old 04-19-2005, 04:04 PM

"Another consideration is stack sizes. My general rule is to lead into big stacks and checkraise smaller ones if I'm tyring to get alot of money in the middle."

Is that because you want to(and can) pot commit short stack but you can't do that against a big stack as the size of your check raise would have to be massive making the only call from an overset?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

A) Calls
B) min.raises

A) I bet again on the turn 3/4 pot
B) I pot re-raise
C) call, and check-raise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

C is interesting. I normally just reraise allin, but im starting to think that that's a really lazy and probly suboptimal line. swolfe, if C is ur standard line here how often do you whiff the turn? i would imagine a good amount? do you just accept that risk? and what about callin and leading the turn?