Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2003, 01:26 PM

Default NLHE straight & flush in BB

Online $50 max buy-in table. Blinds are $.25, $.50. Two limp in (one with $100, the other close to me near $50) and the small blind with $18.50 complete. I check in the big blind with Ac 8h.

Flop is 6h 5h 7c

I bet $2. The $50 stack and the small blind call.

Turn is [6h 5h 7c] 9h

I bet $6.50. Only small blind calls.

River is [6h 5h 7c 9h] 3h.

I check and SB bets all in ($9.50).

What would have been a good way to play this hand?

Thanks-
KL
Old 03-05-2003, 11:15 AM

Default Re: NLHE straight & flush in BB

I'm no expert so take my advice with a grain of salt. First of all, flop bet is not too bad...obviously I wouldn't be crazy about my hand tho. Anyhow, the main problem comes with your turn bet. I would definitely not move in because of the flush, but I'd make a small bet so the opponents don't get a free card. This way I'd keep the pot small so if a scare card comes on the river I can get away from the hand. Well, in your case the pot is too big to get away from, so you were in a tough spot...whether to call or fold on the river is kind of player dependent, so its hard to give a precise answer.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:25 PM

I think you played it the best that you could. The turn made a mistake in calling for the flush draw because your bet was to large to give him proper odds. If he was in the mood to call then he was going to call. Unless he bluffed you in which case he is a great player. I think you played just find though.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:59 PM

I have some questions:

1. Tell me if I've worked this out right - the pot stands at $21 before the $9.50 river bet.

2. Do you know anything about the guy in the small blind?

3. And something I'm confused about - haven't you got position on him? How did he manage to make his bet on the river if you had already checked?
Old 03-06-2003, 01:09 PM

I play aggressivley so this may not work for you, but I would very well may have made it $2-3 preflop, with all these limpers and no raise trying to steal the blinds You will usually just take it down preflop. The flop bet was OK, altho I personally would have check raised probably. As for the turn I'm not sure I dont think i would have been in that situation but I would have to agree with your bet. As for the river check foldin your situation.

Before I catch slack from others who play live NL, please realize that online is different and people are very timid usually.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Correction- no rvr checkRe: NLHE straight & flush in BB

1. Tell me if I've worked this out right - the pot stands at $21 before the $9.50 river bet.

That's correct

2. Do you know anything about the guy in the small blind?

No. I've never played with him and this was early in the session.

3. And something I'm confused about - haven't you got position on him? How did he manage to make his bet on the river if you had already checked?

You're right. Sorry- I posted it incorrectly. I did have position on him and he acted first with the bet.

Thanks-
KL
Old 03-07-2003, 04:29 PM

Sigh. I hate when this happens. Your hand continues to improve, and someone leapfrogs you when you improve. Sigh.

Either the SB is a great player making a move, the SB is a bad player making a great move, or you are beat. I'd say the most likely is the last, and your pot odds suck. Fold.

You played it fine, and gave the SB every reason to believe you had him/her beat. Not much you can do here but click on fold.

-Diplomat