Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: New Moneymaker Book --- Guy deserves credit

[ QUOTE ]
I think its even tougher to be up against an unpredictable fish who's libel to go allin on anything versus a well known pro whom you could kind of put on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i hate playing against fish. I can only beat good players because they are....predictable? that makes sense.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think its even tougher to be up against an unpredictable fish who's libel to go allin on anything versus a well known pro whom you could kind of put on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i hate playing against fish. I can only beat good players because they are....predictable? that makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

The truth might actually be that none of the players knew him, and probably viewed him as an "unpredictable fish". To some extent he probably leveraged this image, and the fact he was an unkown (but actually decent player). In contrast, all the other players knew each other well, and were probably well aware of each others foibles & strategy. Maybe his brilliance was playing his "fishy" table image.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:34 AM

exactly..thats what i meant.

Not saying people generally prefer to play against tougher players, but i think even toppros will have a tough time putting someone like MM on a hand, and furthermore how he will react to a tough decision....like one where a supposed top pro would safely push and force someone else off a better hand just because its not god enough to call allin with....like dutch....but MM took him up in that situation and took him out.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:24 PM

I think what this book showed me more than anything was that even though some of the other players might gamble higher in terms of real dollars, Moneymaker had more experience gambling with higher percentages of his money. Lets say Farha makes a 100K bet on something out of his net worth of 10M, and Moneymaker is firing off 1K bets out of his BR of 10K. To the world, Farha looks like a bigger gambler...but in reality, isn't Moneymaker?

His willingness to gamble and go broke with big moves came across several times in this book. I will say the book doesn't forbode well for his financial future, but who can say for sure?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:56 PM

I'm sure you find it difficult to chalk anything up to luck, aren't you the guy who was beating 10/20 SH for like 16bb with a 50% vpip?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:20 AM

some of moneymaker's moves in that tournament were impressive yes. the 33 call still has me stunned every time i see it. however, sometimes your decisions end up being right for all the wrong reasons, and that is just a sign of luck. just because moneymaker made the right decisions in that tournament doesnt mean that it wasnt all just a fluke. everything is probability. dutch boyd could have had a bigger pair than moneymaker in that situation 85% of the time, and this just happened to be that 15%. results dont prove much.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
some of moneymaker's moves in that tournament were impressive yes. the 33 call still has me stunned every time i see it. however, sometimes your decisions end up being right for all the wrong reasons, and that is just a sign of luck. just because moneymaker made the right decisions in that tournament doesnt mean that it wasnt all just a fluke. everything is probability. dutch boyd could have had a bigger pair than moneymaker in that situation 85% of the time, and this just happened to be that 15%. results dont prove much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 04-12-2005, 08:46 PM

And some of his mistakes work, like when he thought Humberto Brenes was weak and raised all-in on a K-x-x flop w/88 and Brenes had AA. Moneymaker caught an 8 on the river and won the hand.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:39 AM

I just read the book. Light and good reading. A good tale of a degenerate gambler who made good. I met Moneymaker in person in a NYC poker room and the book seems a good expression of who is is. Meanwhile, I was trying to identify the "worm" character from the circle of friends he listed.

Anyway, praise to Moneymaker for helping explode this growth in poker. All winning players are recipients of the overlay.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:07 PM

I found the book a good, light, one session read. Very refreshing and candid, expecially about the gambling and drinking problems.