Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: won WSOP seat on party....need advice

BTW, Beerfund..u playin this yr?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, Beerfund..u playin this yr?

[/ QUOTE ]

Prolly not, I'd rather spend 3 straight days and $10k at a strip club and have nothing to show for it than spend 3 days and $10k sitting next to sweaty old men and have nothing to show for it.

Depends on how I do in some of the other events tho. Why do you ask? You need a hug?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, this guy may be a beginner, but he won a freakin satellite to get into the WSOP, so he must be at least okay. Sure, most of the players in the main event are pros and much better and/or more experienced, but still...

I think recommending that strategy to him is an insult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quote:
I am relative novice

This is why I suggested he play the System. I didn't call him a novice, he called himself one. Dude.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:13 AM

I think this fellow has plenty of time to read and digest both Harrington on Hold'em as well as the Sklansky Tournament book.

Those two guides should give him a nice place to start, along with perhaps playing three MTTs a week along with normal play, he could do quite well for himself depending upon his relative expectations.

Seriously, if he reads those two books, and goes into the event with a positive attitude, and a willingness to have fun, it could be a very pleasurable experience if nothing else.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:52 AM

Agreed.

Plenty of time to play a bunch of low buy-in MTT's and SNG's of the NL variety to get more comfortable...as well as read up HOH and TPFAP and the MTT and SNG forums.

There's plenty out there to be digested so maybe just HOH and the MTT forums. 1 or 2 months of that should give one a decent NL tourney game I would have to think.

Basically...even with just a limit mentality it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to gain some experience and knowledge and have a reasonably tightish and playable NL tourney game.

He's not going to out-fox any Chris Fergusons while he's there...but he might be able to survive the first day and after that who knows if he can make the money.
It's possible.

I'm hardly god's gift of tourney poker...and I made the money in my first and only live tourney by finishing 177th out of 740 on the cruise.
Just takes a lucky break or three in there...that's all.

Out of 6000 or so players at the WSOP ME I suspect that 600th place will pay $10k or so. Just a guess...but I thought it was typical to pay the top 10% places.

A lot of players will be employing weak-tight strategies in efforts to outlast the hyper-aggressive all-in maniacs.
Neither strategy is that outstanding. But the weak-tight's still have a chance of making it to the money....and the maniacs still have a chance of building a really nice stack.

There WILL be some really mediocre players making it to the money.
There WILL be several players with about as much live tourney experience as he has.

No reason why he should feel he can't take home more than just his WSOP memories.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:14 AM

Also, I fail to see why people make such a huge distinction between NL and Limit. We could have a years long debate about which game is a more true test of all around poker skill (my vote goes for Pot Limit->Limit->No Limit).

Yes, I do realize that the strategies that must be employed, particularly in tournament play regarding Limit vs. No Limit are quite different, and that the ability to shove a stack in pre-flop makes for completely different game dynamics.

But, a great limit mind ought to be able to adjust quite well and quite quickly to No Limit. The other night I was watching the Fox Poker Stars show with Sklansky and couldn't believe that every other sentence the announcer said, "Oh, what a performance considering Sklansky is only a LIMIT player." Gee whiz, someone needs to read The Theory of Poker.

I'm not saying that the games are in any way completely similar, but I am saying that anyone with a keen intellect, and a knack for logical deduction ought to be able to make a quick transition.

So I guess my final point is, if this guy is any kind of reasonably skilled limit player, he shouldn't have too much of a difficult time adapting to the big bet tournament. Call me an optimist, or unrealistic, but I just don't see a huge cause for alarm.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:15 AM

Read the NL/PL tournament book by Tom McEvoy and TJ Cloutier. Then, read the Sklanksky and Harrington books recommended above. Finally, read Tom and TJ's book again. Most of their advice is geared for deep stack tournamenent play, something that MANY if not MOST of your opponents will be completely unfamiliar with.

Michael
Old 04-19-2005, 10:25 AM

Sillies, The problem I have with the transition from L to NL is failing to factor in tourny situation when playing a hand. Perfect example was in satillite that I won seat, had a twice as many chips with 17 or so people left (top 9 got WSOP pakage) I had KK on button and almost played it before I realized that if i got taken down i could jepordize my place in tourny, so I folded. Stll happens where I play hands like i would in limit wo regard to total picture. I've stop playing limit completly, so hopefully with enough practice hat problem will go away...
Old 04-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Depends on your goals and expectations. You won your way in and probably spent a couple hundred doing so (or less). Do you want to just go for the experience and have some fun? Do you want to make the money? Do you want to last the first day? Do you want to have a shot at winning/getting deep?

I think, as a novice (which I would definitely consider myself) I would have to ask myself those questions and let that determine my course of action. If I wanted the experience, then I would play pretty tight and try to last a while. Win some chips if my big hands pay off and I can be around for a while. If not, then it'd take a while to be blinded off and I'd be there for a while.

If I wanted to have a shot at it then I'd be a little more aggressive and willing to go broke (because others might not be).

Certainly don't go there to be intimidated or play passive.

Read some books, play lots of tourneys (level doesn't even matter), and things like that.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Read the NL/PL tournament book by Tom McEvoy and TJ Cloutier. Then, read the Sklanksky and Harrington books recommended above. Finally, read Tom and TJ's book again. Most of their advice is geared for deep stack tournamenent play, something that MANY if not MOST of your opponents will be completely unfamiliar with.

Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Only reason to read the McEvoy/Clouttier book is in case they sit down at your table so you know how weak/tight they are. Ok, now you know that so skip that one. HOH is a must read. TPFAP is also worth reading at this point. I finished HOH on the flight to a WPT event (had been playing hold em for less than 9 months) and found it extremely helpful. I had played and read a ton in those 9 months but was definitely a newb. Don't be intimidated and play your game. Also search for eMarkM's post on MTT tournament strategy. Maybe someone can post a link. I would at least skim Caro's book on tells if you haven't played live much.

Good luck and have fun.