Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Who is really loosing at poker?!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well over half this board is probably losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while i am some what confident in agreeing with this, i am 100% confident that saying "well over half this board consists entirely of losers" is completely true.

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you basing this on? I find that really hard to believe. I wish I had a forum like 2+2 when I first started playing poker. The infomation shared on this site is absolute gold and I'm always amazed to see so many posters ready and willing to share their knowledge.

I don't doubt that there are losers in this forum but 50% is kinda high. I truly believe that anyone who reads this forum regulary, with the wealth of information on this site combined with rakebacks and/or bonuses and still find themselves a loser SHOULD quit poker now.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:31 PM

Isn't Moneymaker on record as having lost like 18K playing online poker in the year or two before the WSOP he won?

There gotta be lotsa these guys.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I know this is a strange question but I get it all the time... If everyone is winning at poker then who is losing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, over the last year I'm a losing player at the higher limits, but a winning player at the lower limits, plus a winning player at PL Omaha/8 (which is where I spend most of my time now).

The losses I suffered at the higher limits will keep me as a "losing player" overall for awhile to come. Those losses came before I'd made a real concerted effort to improve my game. Now I don't have too many sessions where I finish with less than I started with.

Eventually I'll legitimately be able to call myself a winning player.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I truly believe that anyone who reads this forum regulary, with the wealth of information on this site combined with rakebacks and/or bonuses and still find themselves a loser SHOULD quit poker now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I could not agree more. I wish someone would respond to the inquiry I made earlier in the thread. I respect the posters that allege that so many trout are losers, but I wish they would elaborate on it.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:47 PM

Here are some IMs from scrub on this topic. I edited them together to try to make coherent sentences, sorry if its still a bit choppy.

These guys have a big heater and maybe some breakeven time which they don't realize is them running well or at least not badly; and they keep telling themselves that their WR is whatever it was at its peak and that they are just running bad. Then they lose a little and they keep discounting it and then they get KILLED and you don't hear from them unless you go out of your way to ask. Then you hear that "they had some sudden expenses at the same time they were running bad and had to stop playing." Also a lot of them spend a shitload of money when they decide they are making 50k/month or whatever and hasten the process but blame it on spending. It means that when they go broke it happens faster then it would if they just lost the money also they stop playing as much, so the month of them losing is like 8k hands or something.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some IMs from scrub on this topic. I edited them together to try to make coherent sentences, sorry if its still a bit choppy.

These guys have a big heater and maybe some breakeven time which they don't realize is them running well or at least not badly; and they keep telling themselves that their WR is whatever it was at its peak and that they are just running bad. Then they lose a little and they keep discounting it and then they get KILLED and you don't hear from them unless you go out of your way to ask. Then you hear that "they had some sudden expenses at the same time they were running bad and had to stop playing." Also a lot of them spend a shitload of money when they decide they are making 50k/month or whatever and hasten the process but blame it on spending. It means that when they go broke it happens faster then it would if they just lost the money also they stop playing as much, so the month of them losing is like 8k hands or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) WHY are people here losing players?

[/ QUOTE ]

30k+ posters on 2+2 (registered)... only about 200-300 regular (decent) posters on the strategy forums.

[ QUOTE ]
2) How is it that participating at 2+2 is not making them winners (related to #1).

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT and the zoo. Not really participating.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Who are these guys? (Obviously not asking for examples, but maybe a profile.)

[/ QUOTE ]

All those that don't participate in strategy based forums. All those that see things as "black and white", and can't change up their game when things change (levels, tables, players, etc).
All those that use the forums as their sole source of information and don't put in the time for reading books, or put in enough playing time between posts.
Again... 30k+ posters... It's not a far stretch to conceive that 1/2 of them are losing players.

I know that I've made a bunch of money playing hold'em. I feel that these forums were very vital to my success (at least sped up the process). I've played over 150k hands starting at .5/1 and now playing 5/10 and 10/20 6-max. And I will say one thing... Even tho pokertracker tells me that I'm a winning player, I always feel that one bad swing can change all that. Maybe I've just been lucky, so far... I dunno.

When Sexton says "Takes 5 minutes to learn and a lifetime to master"... I think he's right. Everytime I change levels, I get reminded of just how much I have to learn.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 AM

In a COMPLETELY unrelated point, anyone miss CinnamonWind/Matador?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:25 AM

this is a fantastic post. outstanding. I think most of the people (myself included) who question the 50% assumption frequent the strategy forums. it's hard to imagine that even 15% of the posters who read/contribute there regularly could be losing players.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:33 AM

Sometimes its hard for professional players to realize that some people play for fun and that they dont care if they win or lose. Its considered entertainment to them and is the equivalent off going to the ball game or minigolfing. Thats why people should work hard on not berating the bad players. Never bite the hand that feeds you.