Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Poker at Indiana University?

[ QUOTE ]

And would anyone like to offer any substantiated reasons to go / not go there?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the joke of the Big Ten?

GO BUCKEYES - BEAT MICHIGAN
Old 04-18-2005, 04:31 PM

Okay, any non-sports substantiated reasons? I don't care one bit about sports (unless you count poker as one).
Old 04-18-2005, 04:36 PM

Am I the only person that thinks deciding on where to attend college based on being able to play poker in the dorms ridiculous?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, any non-sports substantiated reasons? I don't care one bit about sports (unless you count poker as one).

[/ QUOTE ]

lighten up - we are all just doing some friendly IU bashing of a weak sister sports wise in the Big Ten.

I am sure from a school standpoint IU is fine.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:09 PM

If you really think you can pay for school with poker, then just don't live in the dorms and you should be fine.
Your decision should be based on your educational goals, not poker.
That being said, Bloomington is a nice place to live. Caesers is less than 2 hours away and has a great poker room (although I'm guessing you aren't old enough to get in yet).
Old 04-18-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only person that thinks deciding on where to attend college based on being able to play poker in the dorms ridiculous?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that wouldn't be too great of an idea. Sorry if that's what it seemed like I was trying to do. College is more important to me than being able to play poker in my dorm. I'm seriously considering IU though, and part of what I'd like to know about attending/living there is the poker situation; I figured this would be the best place to find out about that. I thought I might as well ask for more general opinions too, while I was at it.

I like the idea of just living off-campus and playing poker online. That is, if I'd be able to make enough to live off campus. Does anyone know if there are reasonable options for that?
Old 04-18-2005, 05:52 PM

the housing market here is great right now. There have been a few thousand apartments built in the last couple years that have made it a renters market. If you know other kids going to IU, you should be able to get a house for pretty cheap. The more guys you get, the bigger and crazier house you can get (warning: this may have an adverse effect on your studies [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] )
All the new apartments are total ripoffs that are full of east coast rich kids whose parents don't understand that there is no reason to pay NYC prices here. You could realistically get 3 other guys and split a 4 bedroom for $1200. I'm not sure where you're coming from, but I have lived out on the west coast and in Chicago and by comparison, cost of living here is DIRT CHEAP. This is an area of the country where living off of internet poker is far easier to do simply because you need that much money to live here. As an example, the mayor only makes like 70k here, so you know its cheap living.
As far as the University, I went there for a bit, but it wasn't my kind of school and I went elsewhere. Its a big school with a lot of 300+ student lecture classes, which iisn't for everyone. If you like a lot of personal interaction with profs, then the underclass years at IU might not be best for you.
Finally, and I have a feeling this might be important to kid heading off the school [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] , there is an absolutely phenominal selection of lovely young coeds.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:54 PM

I don't have much to add to this thread, but seeing all the Hoosier love is great for a guy like me who was born in Bloomington but has lived in MN for 10 years now... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2005, 07:50 PM

i'm in a gigantic 1920ish 4 bedroom for $1260 that's a 3 minute walk to the school of music (jordan and 3rd). no trouble whatsoever paying that kind of rent with poker $.