Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Huck Seed Bluffs Into Dry Side Pot, Etc.

[ QUOTE ]
1.) A third player (Greenstein?) is allin preflop for less than the big blind, Sklansky (Kx off) and Seed (73 off) on the side, dry side pot, not one thin chip in it.

Flop come Kxx, rainbow.

Seed bets into Sklansky.

Huh????!! Can someone explain this bet to me, please? I'd hate to think that I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on, but a good explanation for this play would certainly have me re-thinking my supposed poker accumen.

2.) Headsup with Sklansky. Blinds $30/60K. Sklansky limps sb. Seed (450K) has A6, and...limps???! Then goes into check mode when the flop misses him.

Huh??!

3.) Shortly after hand #2, blinds still 30/60K, Seed, with 400K, pushes allin with T7 off.

I suppose you could make an argument for #2 and/or #3, but there's certainly something debatable about #2, if you know that at this point, Sklansky will be calling an allin bet with a LOT of hands weaker than A6.

#1 is mystifying to me. If that one is rationally explainable, I'd be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the case of #2, I think maybe he put Sklansky on a weak hand, since he limped. He figured that if Sklansky flopped something like middle or bottom pair on an Axx flop, he might give some action, since he couldn't put Seed on an Ace, given the preflop check.

In the case of #3, I think maybe he just wanted to make a move, and figured T7 was a good hand to do it with, since he'll likely have 2 live cards if he gets called.

As for #1, I have no clue what he was thinking. I was totally baffled by that play, especially given Huck's comments that he wanted to play a conservative game, in order to move up the ladder and increase his point total.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the case of #2, I think maybe he put Sklansky on a weak hand, since he limped. He figured that if Sklansky flopped something like middle or bottom pair on an Axx flop, he might give some action, since he couldn't put Seed on an Ace, given the preflop check.

[/ QUOTE ]

If what you say is true, he's making an awful bad play, because in the real world, you can't make plays depending upon the "flop coming Axx," etc., and because there are relatively few hands/scenarios in NL holdem that you can legitimately slowplay preflop.

The last thing you want to do with A6 headsup is to give QJ a free look at the flop, especially if he'd just as soon call preflop anyway.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If what you say is true, he's making an awful bad play, because in the real world, you can't make plays depending upon the "flop coming Axx," etc., and because there are relatively few hands/scenarios in NL holdem that you can legitimately slowplay preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, especially given the way the hand played out postflop. It doesn't make much sense to slowplay before the flop, then check it down when your opponent shows absolutely no strength. If I recall correctly, Sklansky won the pot with a pair of 2's, so Seed probably could have won the pot with even a small flop bet.