Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: More On My Favorite Theme

Aha, I think that's the catch I was missing with hand 1. On the river, you have a decent chance of beating UTG+1, but I think I was failing to factor in UTG. His play does suggest a potentially powerful hand that's simply afraid of the flush. Since you're you're likely going to have to beat both at showdown, I think this leans to a straight-forward fold.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:22 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

yeah parlays really change things. if you have a 1/4 chance to beat each player, then you're 15-1 against winning the pot.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:53 PM

I agree -- KQo is definitely a PF raise here. But is a PF 3-bet with AQo standard against an unknown player? I would tend to just call in that situation. Is that too passive?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:45 PM

Is raising KQo UTG+1 really that easy? I have read SSHE but I don't think it advocates this play as an 'easy, easy raise.' I sometimes raise here, almost always when suited. (Party 2-4 10-20 Live) Am I misplaying?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:50 PM

My first thought on hand 2 was to check the turn through and call a bet (at least) on any river card.

Just seems to me that you'll see a weak ace here more often than not, and i'm not too concerned about the free card. (Perhaps I need to be)

-d
Old 04-18-2005, 02:09 PM

Hand 1: The flop has to be raised
Hand 2: I find the call easy
Old 04-18-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 is a ridiculously easy fold on the river, though there's a good argument for raising on either the flop or the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was nice to hear, as I folded it and watched the raiser take it down with 99.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 I call down without thinking about it for one bet. If the player had proven over a larger sample of hands that he wasn't going to play like this without at least trip aces, perhaps I could find a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woops. I folded this. Good to know for the future that this is so easy.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:16 PM

Does anyone have any comment on my question -- Is it standard to 3-bet AQo preflop against an unknown raiser, as in the first hand here? I was under the impression that a smooth call is better in that situation. Is the hero's position (CO) what makes this a good play, or are there other factors?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any comment on my question -- Is it standard to 3-bet AQo preflop against an unknown raiser, as in the first hand here? I was under the impression that a smooth call is better in that situation. Is the hero's position (CO) what makes this a good play, or are there other factors?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually raise or fold, with folding being more common. I don't remember why I raised it here -- probably because the remaining players were very tight and I thought I could by the button.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2:
why not limp with QKo?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very, very easy raise. Have you read "Small Stakes Holdem"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I raise with KQ in UTG+1 as well, but according to SSH page 90 it is a limping hand. Where in that book does it say raise?