Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Hmmm... (99 hand)

I would check the river in other situations but since the ace hit I think you should bet.
I think if you bet this river every time even calling the checkraise when you were beat you would still come out ahead of not betting.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:01 AM

Don't you realize that the river Ace just counterfeited Villian's 84o???? Value bet!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2005, 09:30 AM

what did he call you with on the turn, then? were you hoping he would fold a BETTER hand? then why bet the turn? what is he ever calling you with on the turn that you beat?

because he could be drawing? at two under-cards?

c'mon. if he check/raises you, so what? but he has an Ace here very rarely. therefore, he's been calling with something. if he was afraid of the ace, but skeptical of it, the river is only going to encourage him to doubt that you have an ace. he doesn't have TT+ pocket pair almost certainly, and he's got to be thinking an 8 has a reasonable chance at this pot. there's all SORTS of crap that you get called with here that you beat.

not that i've been on much these past couple weeks... but even before I left I was horrified by the growing number of bad "what does he call me with here?" river checks.

this is a damned easy river value bet, imo.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:42 AM

id bet here and fold to a cr, the flop was pretty big so he could have anything.if you bet and he just calls and beats you well so be it, i would much rather bet and lose the bet(if he beats you) than check and lose a bet(if you beat him)

i think the second case will happen more often than the 1st
Old 04-18-2005, 09:46 AM

I think you play was right all the way. If we believe UTG will be foolish enough limp in and to stay all the way with a preflop raiser who keeps leading on this board with a medium pair or K8 etc why not believe he has AT or even A7 and is afraid of your kicker? Your only going to get called on the river by a hand you can't beat and maybe a checkraise which could be a bluff (but probably isn't).
Old 04-18-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Results

Ok, so I missed a value bet on the river. Villian had 89s and MHWG.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I missed a value bet on the river. Villian had 89s and MHWG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now how about the times Villian flips over A2. How do we go about getting an estimate of the % an unknown has one hand over the other. I mean does not logic tell you that a PF raiser has either Ax or KK-88 (other than the rare times he has KQs). If you don't have minimum Ax why are you calling down.

Is my thinking fundamentaly flawed. Does anyone here continue in this hand holding just an 8 and no draw? I don't think my brain allows my hand to hit the middle button here. It goes against all reason. How do you do it.

Now once I see Sir Schmuck do it and he has a players note that reads "VAL BET!!!" then I can hit the bet button all day long.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:46 AM

Bet the river. The river card helps you three ways:

1. Takes one of the three aces he might have out of play.
2. Counterfeits little two-pair hands.
3. Gives him courage to bet the river with an ace ... but he didn't.

That's plenty. I'd probably check a brick but the odds on betting have greatly improved.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:14 PM

What were you trying to accomplish raising preflop with 3 EP limpers with pocket 99?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:38 PM

I think you have to bet the river here. UG could be playing smaller pair, or have paired the board with non-A. The ace on the river makes that card less likely to be in his hand. A definite bet for value here.