Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 08:19 AM

Default NL 2/4. Am I a fish?

------------------
OpeningBetRound
------------------
SB : Posts small blind 2.00
Hero : Posts big blind 4.00 [ 5H, AH ]
UTG : Folds
CO : Folds
Button : Folds
SB : Raises for 6.00
Hero : Calls for 4.00
------------------
Flop [ 3H, 10S, 5C]
------------------
SB : Bets 12.00
Hero : Raises for 24.00
SB : Calls for 12.00
------------------
Turn [4H]
------------------
SB : Checks
Hero : Checks
------------------
River [6C]
------------------
SB : Bets 56.00
Hero : Calls for 56.00

I think I should bet the turn definitely. Hows the river call? SB said after this hand: "Yes! We have a fish in the table.".
Old 04-12-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: NL 2/4. Am I a fish?

1. If I were in the hand, I'd probably have raised the SB pre-flop. This is to eliminate the possibility of someone stealing with total rags.

2. On the flop (if I raised, this would be easier), I would either fold, if I thought he had me beat (I'd probably do it in your case, where he may have been on a steal and gotten lucky), or I would have raised him more than the minimum (I'd do this if he called my pre-flop raise, indicating a big hand, thus he probably has missed this flop)

3. On the turn, you picked up a flush AND a gutshot draw, I think that's pretty good. The only thing that was problematic was a potential gutshot, but I wouldn't worry about that. Clear bet.

4. Easy fold on the river (unless the bet was $4). However, if you had played it like I would, he'd check to you with anything less than the nuts, which is why this would be such an easy decision.

So: pre-flop raise to get the steal hands out. If he re-raises, it'll usually be big, thus making it an easy fold for you. On the flop, fold or raise anything BUT the minimum. I'd go for $30 here, but some of the more seasoned players probably have better suggestions. On the turn, you gained about 12 more outs, quarter of the deck, so it's an easy bet, I think 3/4 of the pot is the standard (though I usually overbet the pot). This river is an easy fold to anything except the very minimum bet, since by that time the pot should be over $100, all you need is for him to bluff 4% of the time. Again, he'll most likely check anything but a powerhouse.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:56 AM

But what about villains river bet? Don't you think it's suspicious? Suddenly he makes it almost a pot sized bet after I have shown no interest in the pot. In fact my flop raise could have been a total bluff. What do you put him on?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:15 AM

The problem is, there really is no information to put him on with the way you played the hand. I can rarely guess a guy's hand out of the blue (like some people on TV seem to do), but I usually make the correct decisions while I'm in the hand, partially because I can bet it in ways that help me put him on hands. It's like that game where you guess numbers and the other player tells you which ones are correct and which ones aren't. You bet to see what he might have, and when the next card falls you gauge his reaction.

After turn and river came, I couldn't put him on anything, except that I'd put him on a better hand than mine. He could have as little as T7, flopped top pair, and made runner-runner straight. I just don't know, I'm sure the better players of this forum will be able to tell you. Also, I don't usually see players bluff like that, it's usually less than the pot (at those limits, at least).

However, based on what you stated of his reaction, it sounds like he was actually on a bluff, since he'd otherwise not know your hand, since you would have mucked it. Even if you had shown it, he wouldn't make such a comment, since he'd have no reason to berrate you. Sounds like you just called his stone-cold bluff and he was pissed.

However, you were forced to make a decision for a substantial amount of chips, with little info to go on. Which basically meant that he put you to a very marginal decision, which is what poker is all about. Had you played the hand the way I advised, you would never need to make this decision.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:06 AM

Look, there are three possibilities: Its either a wreckless bluff (not very likely), or, much more likely because this is 2-4, means is that he played his hand poorly if he has an overpair (he made a critical mistake not betting the turn). Last possibility is 7-7 or 6-6 and didnt believe you had a 10 on the flop, then makes a monster on the river.

It doesnt matter though, cos when he called your flop reraise you have to shutdown unless you improve, barring some good read; he has you beaten.

Had the last card been the 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you would have stacked him.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:07 PM

Yes.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:45 AM

1. SB is not trying to "steal" with a min-raise. Re-raising here is terrible. You don't have a good hand, and the value of position decreases as you put more money into the pot.

2. Folding the flop is bad. People often go nuts over blind wars, I can't imagine folding with middle pair on this completely ragged flop. You also expect he will follow up with a continuation bet with any two cards. The chances you have him beat are too high. Min-raising is bad. You don't find out where you are, and the way you play it (min-raising the flop and checking the turn - he sees 2 cards for $12), he has odds to call with 2 overcards. I would also like to control the pot, so I'm calling here. I'd rather see what happens on the turn.

3. The way you played it, clear check on the turn. He picked up a lot of outs and may induce a bluff from Villain on the end. He would hate to get check-raised and not be able to chase all those draws.

4. River is somewhat player dependent, but it smells fishy to me, and not because you've essentially given away the results, but because the only hand he has that beats you is a ten and a ten probably won't bet full pot on the river. I would consider folding to a 2/3 pot bet more than I would a full pot bet. But that's player dependent.

Dwarrior, your line sucks, no offense. You can't come out swinging every single pot and blow $100 to find out where you are. You also ruin your ability to induce bluffs or get value when you're ahead. He folds everything you beat and calls everything you don't. That's not the best situation to come out firing on all 4 cylinders.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:09 AM

Bet turn, you are likely ahead. Some people call flop min raises with any 2.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:40 AM

I call ya a FISH definitely with a bad river call like that, 3rd pair and a low one at that. So many hands beat you it boggles my mind, of course he might have called you a fish when you won that hand too out of anger, I'd have expected an expletive used as an adjective in there somewhere though. :evil:

You will lose a lot of $ if you suspect everyone is bluffing too much and call them routinely down with that weak crap.

>TW<
Old 04-18-2005, 07:43 AM

commenting on the river....I really like the river call. This bet really means he has the 7 or doesn't. Since he pf raised, it's more likely than not he has some sort of overcards. Certainly a hand like top pair or two pair doesn't just bet pot (at this level) with a 4straight on board.