Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2003, 05:46 PM

Default Comments for a novice

HAND 1

Dealt to tuff_fish 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] .. me in the small blind

CYBER_BTK: Call ($0.50)
didUcThat: Call ($0.50)
Fold
Matriarch: Call ($0.50)
happyal : Call ($0.50)
Fold
BUTTON: Fold
SB: tuff_fish: Call ($0.25)
BB: Blind Gunman: Check

*** FLOP *** : K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

tuff_fish: Check
Blind Gunman: Check
CYBER_BTK: Check
didUcThat: Check
Matriarch: Check
happyal : Check

missed everybody I guess;

*** TURN *** : [K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] ] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

tuff_fish: Bet ($1) got 2 aces, ...CHARGE!!
Fold
Fold
didUcThat: Call ($1)
Matriarch: Call ($1)
happyal : Call ($1)

no raises. so far so good

*** RIVER *** : [ K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] ] A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

tuff_fish: Bet ($1) got 3 aces, ....CHARGE!!
didUcThat: Raise ($2) erp!?? what's happening??
Matriarch: Fold
happyal : Fold
tuff_fish: Raise ($2) what ARE you doing..???
didUcThat: Raise ($2)
tuff_fish: Call ($1)

Results to follow

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HAND 2

Dealt to tuff_fish 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] ..me.. on the button

Fold
Fold
Fold
happyal : Call ($0.50)
Fold
Fold
BUTTON: tuff_fish: Call ($0.50)
SB: CYBER_BTK: Call ($0.25)
BB: didUcThat: Check

*** FLOP *** : 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

CYBER_BTK: Check
didUcThat: Bet ($0.50)
happyal : Fold
tuff_fish: Raise ($1) .. I do have top pair..
Fold
didUcThat: Call ($0.50)

*** TURN *** : [ 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] ] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

tuff_fish: Bet ($1)

*** RIVER *** : [ 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]] A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]
tuff_fish: Bet ($1) aces and 9's should I be this aggressive?

results to follow

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
HAND 3

Dealt to tuff_fish J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] ...I am the Big Blind here

Fold
Fold
Rookie13: Raise ($1)
Fold
Fold
NJcowboy42: Raise ($1.50)
SB: Fold
BB: tuff_fish: Call ($1) should I have been more aggressive here?
Rookie13: Call ($0.50)

*** FLOP *** : 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

tuff_fish: Bet ($0.50) ..overpair should bet here.. right?
Rookie13: Call ($0.50)
NJcowboy42: Call ($0.50)

*** TURN *** : [ 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] ] T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]
tuff_fish: Bet ($1) still leading unless there is a T out there
Rookie13: Call ($1)
NJcowboy42: Call All-in ($0.25)

OK, no raises, so far so good.

*** RIVER *** : [ 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]
tuff_fish: Bet ($1) nothing new here, keep going or too aggressive?
Rookie13: Call ($1)

Results to follow

++++++++++++++++++++++

HAND 4

Dealt to tuff_fish J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] I am in the Small Blind here
Fold
RivaRat : Call ($0.50)
Fold
Fold
Fold
Fold
SB: tuff_fish: Raise ($0.75)
BB: budman1 : Call ($0.50)
RivaRat : Call ($0.50)

*** FLOP *** : K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

tuff_fish: Bet ($0.50)
budman1 : Raise ($1)
RivaRat : Fold
tuff_fish: Call ($0.50)

*** TURN *** : K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] ] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

budman1 : Bet ($1)
tuff_fish: Raise ($2) trip jacks should be a good hand..
budman1 : Raise ($2)
tuff_fish: Raise ($2)
budman1 : Call ($1)

*** RIVER *** : [ K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] ] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

budman1 : Bet ($1)
tuff_fish: Raise ($2)
budman1 : Call ($1)

Results to follow

+++++++++++++++++

HAND 5

Dealt to tuff_fish [ 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] ] here I am Small Blind

Fold
Fold
Mackisback: Call ($0.50)
Fold
Fold
BUTTON: Brad100 : Call ($0.50)
SB: tuff_fish: Call ($0.25)
BB: CYBER_BTK: Raise ($0.50)
Brad100 : Call ($0.50)
tuff_fish: Call ($0.50)

*** FLOP *** : 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

CYBER_BTK: Bet ($0.50)
Brad100 : Raise ($1)
tuff_fish: Fold... Was I too wimpy here? I really didn't have anything.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Comments for a novice

Hand 1. I would fold preflop. By the time it gets to the river are you working at putting your opponent on a hand? He seems to really like his hand and while yours looks pretty good it doesn't look all that great after he raises your river bet. I think you put in too many bets on this hand.

Hand 2. It looks like you overvalue Ace crap off suit. While this is a fantastic spot to play the hand, I think you misplayed it preflop by not raising. On flops like this I might wait untill the turn to pop it if I am fairly sure that my opponent will bet again. On the river he has checked to me so I fear the flush less. I would imagine any biggish club would bet hoping to get that last bet.

Hand 3. I think a call against a 3 bettor is fine out of the blind. When the flop comes like it is good for your hand I think you should checkraise the 3 bettor to face the in between person with a double bet as well as gain some info from the 3 bettor either on this street or on the next street.

Hand 4. Again what are you putting your opponent on? You cap and he bets into you again on the river, one of you is overplaying your hand.

Hand 5. Another preflop fold. Good play after you decided to look at the flop.

Allan
Old 03-01-2003, 11:48 PM

First hand: That was a lot of raising on the river given that you had a crappy kicker.

Second hand: you're betting into four clubs after someone's been calling you the whole way, including raises, with three clubs on the board. Check-call sounds like a better river play to me.

Third hand: I don't mind your play here. I wouldn't have minded if you capped three ways with your jacks, but just calling from the BB is OK too. I hope you were going to fold if raised on the turn.

Fourth hand: ok by me.

fifth hand: you had nothing, fold.

By the way, reading posts is much easier if you just tell the story, rather than put the internet format in your post. I see you chopped out much of the BS, but your post was too long. Also, usually you should keep it down to one hand per post, or two if they are somehow related. People tend to lose interest on the fourth and fifth hands. Just friendly advice. Good post though.

al
Old 03-02-2003, 01:31 AM

Hand 1: I have to think that an AK-high flush just ate you up here. Way to aggressive here in the face of a possible flush.

Hand 2: Seems like a very "they will only call if they have you beat" situation here. I'm guessing you got called down by a middle club. Check-call on the river here is probably best.

Hand 3: I honestly can't put your opponents on anything here since they never bet back at you, but they stayed in on a nasty board which makes me think they were maybe trying to slowplay a 7 (bad idea) and then got scared by the tens pairing. I can't really say you played it wrong, but I have to think you most likely lost this one.

Hand 4: The fact that you got raised on the flop makes me think he probably didn't hit the straight, but on the other hand he doesn't seem afraid of it either. I still put him on either trip 5s or tens because of the fact that he didn't re-raise you on the river. (I don't really like the check raise here btw, just bet out if you think you are winning)

Hand 5: good fold ... you could very well be drawing dead here.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry I took so long to post the results, wife had me painting all day Sunday.

HAND 1

*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $14.50 | Rake: $0.50
Board: [ Kd Qc 3c As Ac ]
tuff_fish lost $5.50 [ 7s Ad ] (three of a kind, aces)
didUcThat bet $5.50, collected $14.50, net +$9 (showed hand) [ 3h Ah ] (a full house, aces full of threes)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HAND 2

*** SUMMARY ***
Board: [ 8c 2c 9c 5s Ac ]
tuff_fish lost $3.50 (showed hand) [ 9s Ah ] (two pair, aces and nines)
didUcThat bet $3.50, collected $7.75, net +$4.25 (showed hand) [ Th 5c ] (a flush, ace high)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

HAND 3

*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $6.50 | Side pot 1: $3.50 | Rake: $0.50
Board: [ 7c Td 7h Tc 9s ]
NJcowboy42 lost $2.25 (showed hand) [ 8s 8h ]
tuff_fish lost $4 (showed hand) [ Jh Js ]
Rookie13 bet $4, collected $10, net +$6 (showed hand) [ 9c 9d ] (a full house, nines full of tens)

Grrrrrrr.......

++++++++++++++++++++++

*** SUMMARY ***

HAND 4

Pot: $16.25 | Rake: $0.75
Board: [ Kh 5s Tc Jh 2c ]

tuff_fish lost $8 (showed hand) [ Jc Jd ] (three of a kind, jacks)
budman1 bet $8, collected $16.25, net +$8.25 (showed hand) [ Ks Kc ] (three of a kind, kings)

+++++++++++++++++

It is very helpful to get this feedback.

I will clean up my format some more and stick to one hand per post from now on.

Thanks again,

Old 03-03-2003, 01:25 PM

Well, for the most part I think you want to keep playing with these people ... even though they may have sucked out on you, they for the most part were making some pretty poor decisions along the way and should pay you off in the long run.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:54 PM

Didn't read the responses.

[1] If nobody else has a King then their hand got WORSE when the Ace hit, unless they have an Ace or a flush draw (or the made straight). Your hand is worth a bet, but the best outcome is when everybody folds. You got 3 calls: you are in trouble against someone with an Ace bigger kicker. On the river, when the flush gets there you are in a LOT of trouble, and should only bet if the callers are REAL tenacious and will call with a pair of Queens. 3-betting the river is obscene since few players are going to raise with a hand worse than yours. Folding is a VERY reasonable option against the river raise.

[2] Looks reasonably assertive up to the river. But if you had the best hand on the turn then either the opponent outdrew you with the flush OR his hand got a lot worse (he clearly fears the made flush and also the river Ace). Do you think K9 will pay you off? You are unlikely to get called. Your hand is too strong to bluff and too weak to expect a lesser hand to call, and so its a perfect checking hand.

[3] Possibly 4-bet B4 flop, but I routinely call and see how things develope. Check-raising the flop is a MUCH better option than leading out, since almost SURELY someone will bet. Anyway, betting out the river means you hope someone pays you off with an Ace, which is reasonably likely. You seem to be forgetting, however, that they may also pay you off with KK or QQ.

[4] Folding to the flop raise is reasonable, but I routinely call figuring to fold the turn (it makes their bluffs a LOT more expensive). Well played after that; although I thought the river check-raise was a bit gutsy (but it worked).

[5] Your hand is not worth calling a single flop bet. Its certainly not even considering calling two; and so is not worth posting.

Observations: maybe I'm wrong, but...

[A] You aren't spending much time thinking about what the opponent is likely to have, and no time thinking about what he thinks YOU have.

[B] You think there is something "wrong" with calling.

[C] You have a preference to maximize your action, not your EV.

- Louie
Old 03-03-2003, 02:06 PM

Let me give you an example. I'm looking at a download from paradise of a hand I played recently. You know what they look like, LONG and hard to read. I'll summarize what happened here:

I'm on the button with AsAh. Two limp in front of me and I raise. The BB calls, limpers call, rest fold.

The flop is Jd Qd 4ds. Checked to me, I bet. The BB folds, one of the limpers calls and the other check-raises. I three-bet, the first limper folds and the check-raiser calls. Heads up.

the turn is the 5s. He bets and I raise, he calls.

The river is the Kd. He checks, I bet, he calls. He shows the AdQh and I take the pot.

I'm really not looking for comments on the hand, it was not really noteworthy. But you see I've condensed two pages of bull-pucky into a few sentences which are easy to read. I for one prefer the notation rather than plugged-in symbols for suits or pictures of the cards, easier on the eyes.