Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2003, 05:16 PM

Default shooting the angle shooter

Last night LHE tourney. I'm not in the hand, player to my left bets the turn and says "all-in", but he still has 2 high-value chips in front of him. I say "you can't do that, saying you're all in when you're not". He says "I can do whatever I want, I'm only joking anyway". Now, what would you do? Call the floor and complain? Would it be different if you were involved in the hand?

Given that I had admonished him I doubted he would try this move when I was in a hand, at least not in this tourney. But what to do if anyone does this? I'm thinking call the flop and if I like the turn card say nothing, if I don't complain when the angler bets "He said he was all-in! Floor!".
Old 02-28-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Re: shooting the angle shooter

You said it was limit HE, so he obviously can't go all-in anyway. It appears to me it's just sort of a taunt, saying "hey, I have such a strong hand, I would go all-in if I could". Similar to taunting somebody by saying "call this if you don't like money". I don't see it as an angle shoot, unless I'm misreading your post.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:12 PM

Tim,

He could, indeed, be allin, if his stack did not meet the minimum bet requirement.........Fairly standard practice to declare when this situation happens.

As far as what to do? I would ask the dealer for time & have him call the Pit Boss over for clarification of the rules surrounding this issue.

I would do it in a non-confrontative manner, as to not start a war at the table. In that way, even if the guy is angle shooting, he knows that he's been picked off and it has been noted by the PB, dealer and all others at the table.

If it's an honest mistake, that will more than likely be self evident, and it will end up being a positive learning experience for all involved.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:07 PM

If he's declaring all-in in a limit game to say that he can't meet the minimum bet, but he is holding chips back, that should be pretty easy to spot and correct. There's no way he's going to get away with that at any table I've played at. You'll have several people pointing it out if the dealer misses it. Hell, I've said all-in and forgotten about the chip that's protecting my hand, and had people jumping all over me.