Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 04:31 PM

Default 5-5 blinds short handed (making a move post-flop)

I'm the button w/ 56 spades and I raise to 25 or 30, foggy memory after a 1 day session. This was a live game and the bb in this hand was a very aggressive, young asian lady who is a 'thinking' player and isn't afraid to bluff. We were playing a full-ring game up until this point and her and I pretty much respect each other's play.

Anyhow, sb folds and she reraises to 100 more. Normally, I muck this hand really fast against any other player but she was doing this quite often and I know she doesn't have a hand each time. She's been up and down in this game big time and she's finally starting to make a comeback by resembling an "Ungar-like" presence at the table. I put her on almost anything at this point and since I'm going to act behind her I figure I can narrow her hands down post-flop. So I call. I have ~2500 or so and she has me covered. I figure I can get paid off big time if I hit.

flop is KxKr. The 'x' card was one of my runners for a straight and there was also 1 spade on board though I don't remember if it was the K or not. Sorry for lack of details.

Anyhow, she thinks for a sec or two and fires out 100. This to me feels like an "ace-high bet go away let me take the pot down bet." I think for 3-5 seconds or so and raise to 300 straight. I'm trying to represent a K w/ weak kicker or pp above the 'x' card just wanting to take the pot down right there.

Comments?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: 5-5 blinds short handed (making a move post-flop)

I think it would be funnier if you flat-called.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]??? it would certainly be a way better play.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

funnier how?

call the flop then what do I do on the turn?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if she bets the turn again, fold, if she checks the turn, bet 300-ish and probably take it down

the 100 bet on the flop looks weak to me, and as long as an ace doesnt come on the turn, you can represent the k better i think by calling the flop/ betting the turn, which is what you would probably do if you actually had a k.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the move.

topout
Old 04-17-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

funnier how?

[/ QUOTE ]when she checks you bet $400. you win... if she calls and checks the riv. ALLIN.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:35 PM

this:
[ QUOTE ]
I figure I can get paid off big time if I hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

and that:
[ QUOTE ]
. I put her on almost anything at this point

[/ QUOTE ]

are two different things - unless you're saying she would overplay any hand (ie no pair) if thats the case i can pick a much better hand then 56s to take a stand

also, you want to get paid off, but in the hand you're trying to outbluff her. I dont follow.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:37 PM

Smoothcalling pot bets on a kkx flop and then pushing them off their hand on the turn is the best way to handle this situation. Someone leading into you for a large bet rarely has a king or at least AK/KQ. If you raise, they can put you on a PP other than kings or AQ high. If you confidently smooth call with position you can better represent the king. In some cases its even possible to wait until the river to make a move if the stacks are deep enough.

An example, I have to brag about (sorry) from my last week in vegas.

2-5 NL @ mirage I have a laggy image, a tighter than usual but thinking player been sitting to my right for several hours. Ive been mocking his tight play saying I would never pay him off etc. I straddle his bb for the 8000 time. 3 loose callers to him (callers could have literally any 2 cards, Q2o for example), he thinks a second and makes it 50, i look and make it 150 w/ A9o. It gets to him and he thinks about it for a second and calls.

Flop: KK5 rainbow. He leads for 300. I call leaving me with only 400 behind. Turn is a blank, he checks, i push. He hesitates for a long time and folds. Granted there were some physical reads etc. His raise to 50 could have been any PP 66+, any 2 broadway. When he called, the way he was thinking made me believe he didnt like his situation, clearly wasnt thinking trap or push, but couldnt fold because of my image, so I narrowed him down to 99-JJ, or AJ/KQ type hands. When he led into me on the flop, i knew he didnt have a king because a K there is an auto check from him considering my image.

-JP
Old 04-19-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this:
[ QUOTE ]
I figure I can get paid off big time if I hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

and that:
[ QUOTE ]
. I put her on almost anything at this point

[/ QUOTE ]

are two different things - unless you're saying she would overplay any hand (ie no pair) if thats the case i can pick a much better hand then 56s to take a stand

also, you want to get paid off, but in the hand you're trying to outbluff her. I dont follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, what I meant was that I figured I can get paid off if I hit my hand because she wouldn't put me on that garbage. I think she would expect big cards or pairs from me.

Then, on the flop I thought she was weak and took a shot.

PS - She called my raise and she moved all in when a J came on the turn. I folded after a long thought. She flashed QQ. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]