Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Is the PPT a joke?

From Daniel's Blog:

"I came into the event feeling pretty good and hoping that I could focus despite the relatively small prize pool. Honestly, I don't want to sound like a whiner, but it's hard to get fired up about an event where first place after three days of play is an amount I could go through in 10 minutes playing live action!"

"Less than 20 minutes later I'd won every pot I played and was winning $240,000! It was scoop after scoop, whether it was Omaha Hi or Hi-Lo. That's more money than the winner of the PPT would get after three full days of play."

Are the pros able to take the PPT seriously with the small prize pool?

Danny Blog
Old 04-17-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Is the PPT a joke?

Very few pros play side games as high as Negreanu, so to them, the money is significant.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:13 AM

The other point Daniel makes about the PPT is that there seems to be quite a few "fringe" players who get in, and that there should be an entry fee (say 15K) to enter and THEN add the 500K on top of the prize pool.

Kevin...
Old 04-17-2005, 01:55 AM

People make excuses when they bust out, and Daniel also does this too. No big deal.

As of right now (4/7, 1:50 EST), according to pokerwire.com, Doyle Brunson, Chip Reese, Eli Elezra, and Todd Brunson - who all play The Big Game - have made it to the final 9. Daniel's complaint looks stupid now. But I wouldn't doubt that those guys have some gigantic last-longer bets or crossbooks going to pump up those competitive juices.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:16 AM

David seems like a nice guy and does project a good image for poker, so I respect him for that. However his public comments about how little relatively large sums of money mean to him, make him seem a bit insecure to me.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:31 AM

If I was in their shoes, FREE $ is FREE $, and good competition is what a lot enjoy, and it's there...

Daniel is insanely rich now, so he wipes his ass with C notes and could care less, he shouldn't even play in it then, right?

It's a free roll provided by the WPT, only expense is getting to them.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:57 AM

Like others, I have been following Daniel's blog and his change in wealth over the past year has been incredible. In some early postings he was off to pay the bills with 8 hours of daily poker during the day with a thermos of mom's stew. Today he's getting up at 3pm, playing in the big game where he has had milion dollar swings in a session, has a personal assistant, doing all the interviews, is throwing out the first pitch at a Toronto Blue Jays game ... quite a difference afew years make.

For the most part I enjoy his blog, but I have to say I am getting an uneasy feeling of late with all his talk of these big dollars. The fact that a $500,000 pot doesn't mean much to him is great for him, but discussing the way he does strikes me as someone who is a little "nouveau riche" ... new to lots of money and talking about it a little too much. No question that he has done a lot for the poker world, and is a good image for it, I just hope he remains somewhat humble.

Tom
Old 04-17-2005, 12:23 PM

it wasnt much more than a year ago i found the article on fullcontact where he talks about his first trip to vegas. it gives me hop i guess whilst im grinding out those 10+1 SnGs on stars.

the boy done good for himself, thats for sure.

Phill
Old 04-17-2005, 12:45 PM

It's not just Daniel who's not taking the PPT seriously. Josh Arieh says he hates playing in it because it's a freeroll and no one seems to be playing well, except for Erick Lindgren, that is.

www.josharieh.com
Old 04-17-2005, 05:25 PM

This happens alot, I mean if you could make more money go for it and i happen to like daniel. Phil ivey also said he would dump his chips sometimes when he saw a big side game where he could make more than 1st priz in a cardplayer interview awhile ago. Daniel seems like a nice guy and i dont think hes insecure