Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Butchered KK

$2/$4 NL at Prima

1 limper to me and I raise to $20 with KK. Next guy calls as does the limper.

The limper is not very good. The LP caller is very loose and very bad. A calling station.

EP limper started with $200. I have $480. LP has me covered.

Pot is $66. The flop comes Q86 rainbow. EP checks, I bet $40 and they both call. I dont know why I bet only $40. I think $60 is better.

Pot is $186. The turn is a 2. EP checks. Do you ever check here? Standard play would be to bet $125ish right? I checked. I had a feeling one of them may have a set since they both called on a drawless board.

My plan when I checked was to see what LP did. If he bet and EP folded , I was going to check raise all in. If LP bet a significant amount and EP called or raised, I think I have a problem.

Im pretty sure betting is better, which is why the title of this post is "butchered KK".

What do you think about the turn play? Do you ever check here to make it look like you have AK?

Ive found I get called on the flop alot of times by JJ or TT and if I check the turn , they bet the river, but if I bet the turn, I assume they would fold.

Anyway, LP also checked it thru.

the river was another queen and EP pushed all in for $135 or so. I folded as did LP.

Yuck!
Old 04-16-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Butchered KK

"What do you think about the turn play? Do you ever check here to make it look like you have AK?"

I bet here in hopes of getting called by AQ/KQ or maybe even QJ suited. Like you said, the limper is not very good, and the LP player is a calling station. Based on this info, you should definitely bet in order to maximize your profit on this hand, and probably about $130 or so. If you're up against a set, that's tough, but you'll probably know anyways if you bet on the turn. **Also, if the EP limper had a set, I think he would've raised after your flop bet and LP's call. Since LP is a calling station, he could have a wide range of hands...many of which you're way ahead of.

As far as the flop, I don't think there's anything wrong with betting $40, especially since you want some calls from these "bad/calling station" type players. A little more might define their holdings slightly better, but I think not betting the turn is a little worse of a mistake. If these were tightish players who respected your bets, than I think checking the turn is OK, but given the overall description of your opponents, a bet certainly seems in order.

-Nino
Old 04-16-2005, 04:41 PM

I can't check here. I just cant, for precisely what happened. I check the turn and then the board pairs on the river , and you're guessing whether he thinks you're weak cuz you did'nt bet the turn and is bluffing, or he actually has trips. If you bet the turn and get called, then if he goes all in on the river for a significant amount its an easier fold, cuz he knows ur strong and has a legit hand to be making that play
Old 04-16-2005, 04:45 PM

Looks like you accidently saved yourself money here, since a big Q wasn't going to fold to a $100 bet. But the right play is to bet about $100 on the turn.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$2/$4 NL at Prima

1 limper to me and I raise to $20 with KK. Next guy calls as does the limper.

The limper is not very good. The LP caller is very loose and very bad. A calling station.

EP limper started with $200. I have $480. LP has me covered.

Pot is $66. The flop comes Q86 rainbow. EP checks, I bet $40 and they both call. I dont know why I bet only $40. I think $60 is better.

Pot is $186. The turn is a 2. EP checks. Do you ever check here? Standard play would be to bet $125ish right? I checked. I had a feeling one of them may have a set since they both called on a drawless board.

My plan when I checked was to see what LP did. If he bet and EP folded , I was going to check raise all in. If LP bet a significant amount and EP called or raised, I think I have a problem.

Im pretty sure betting is better, which is why the title of this post is "butchered KK".

What do you think about the turn play? Do you ever check here to make it look like you have AK?

Ive found I get called on the flop alot of times by JJ or TT and if I check the turn , they bet the river, but if I bet the turn, I assume they would fold.

Anyway, LP also checked it thru.

the river was another queen and EP pushed all in for $135 or so. I folded as did LP.

Yuck!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have bet enough on the turn to put EP all-in. Then I would've folded if LP came over the top or put any kind of move on the river; you've defined your hand very well and they're unlikely to be drawing at you, or bluffing into a protected pot.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:07 PM

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious now especially against these 2 guys.

To make matters worse, when we folded, EP shows his 63s. I might have called him if it was heads up because he was really bad, but with the guy behind me, I couldnt do it.

No need to make matters worse by calling with looke like an obvious queen. You would think one of them had it.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:08 PM

First:

"I thought one of them had a set"

Then:

"My plan was to check raise all in"

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]