Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Standard Bet?

Ok I know this is a very low level question, but I play a lot of NL $25 on party and find it very easy. However the only live game in my area is $3/6NL with $300-$500 buy in. The times I get the balls to play I usually lose about 25% over 2-3 hours. I think having no idea what to bet is part of the problem combined with lack of experience, however I do want to improve, and I think I over bet. I always hear the regulars in the lounge talk about hands with each other and always say "I made a standard bet/raise" I typically call or raise 4BB preflop and if I bet after the flop 1/2 pot size, are these standard bets? What exactly is a standard bet?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Standard Bet?

First counter question (of likely many):

Is this buyin a significant portion of your bankroll. If so, you are likely playing scared, and a good player (particularly live) will see this and abuse you.

I will attempt more later, but I think this really vague line of questioning will have to be a group effort.

-Trail
Old 04-15-2005, 07:25 PM

Yeah your close, I do play very cautious because I know these are good players, but I'm not playing with my rent. I feel aprensive (yes scared) becuase these "common knowledge" things I'm missing and want to learn
Old 04-15-2005, 08:40 PM

If you're used to playing 25 NL, you're making a fairly big jump there. I'd work on building your roll online. If you can get to the point where you can feel comfortable playing 100 NL online then you should probably be able to beat that live game.

Ryan