Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: World Speed Ranking

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ties do exist because they are only measured in one hundreths of a second.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quit [censored] making up [censored] Bryce. No where in the OP did he say anything about groups or being measured to any significant digit.

[/ QUOTE ]Im not making [censored] up, thats how they would time you.Theres no way I know of where they can accuratley keep track of this better than to the hundreth of a second..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in olympic sprints they generally time to the thousandth. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]hmmm..you are probably right.I guess HS timing isnt used at the olympics huh? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tie Group, what the [censored] is the tie group? You need to define this in order to have a discussion here. Are you "spaceman"byrce's gimmick account and just having a conversation with yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]I dont know what the heck A tie group is.I was saying how irrational they are...the topic creator made those up.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im gettign bored on ps so lets try to figure this out!! First off how many people do you think could run an 11 second( varsity track speed) 100 meter dash?

[/ QUOTE ]

well since a race of this would obviously need automatic timing and not hand timing...there were unofficially 158 high school boys in the United States alone last year who ran 10.70 or faster automatic timing in the 100 meters last year and this just takes reported track times, not including times that were missed, or athletes who didnt run track who were capable of this. Also something that should be noted is that the amount of athletes who can run a given time in something like the 100 grows exponentially as the time increases. So by the time you get to 11.00 you're talking at least 1000 high school boys who can run that in the sport of track and field alone.

and I use the time of 11.00 cuz you named it yourself, but in reality I can guarantee that our OP couldn't run under 12.00 unless he's been actively involved in athletics recently and was quite fast to begin with. Again people look at the times that these guys throw down and underestimate how fast running a time even like 12.00 is relatively. With that said, looking at just how fast high school boys in the U.S. alone are, and when you add in all the factors, I would think there are probably 1,000,000 or more people in the world who can run 12.00 or under in the 100.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks for the post.Yeah my Kenyan guesstamite is way off Im a [censored] idiot.....
Old 04-15-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Theres no way it could be consistent like that.First off let me say I hope this isnt going to be a flame thing where we call each other idiots because it is well established that im an idiot, And im just trying to enjoy this topic and i have no negative opinions of you..
Second they time athletes to the (100) hundreth of a second.
But most importantly how could it possibly be accurate to infinity?DO you think that you would run 12.450003452 every single time or is there a chance that would vary everytime?maybe you run 12.450003451 next time....

[/ QUOTE ]
Bryce, how old are you? Just curious. I have faith in you still my boy. You humor me for some reason. I like you. You need to understand what measurement means. When you take a measurement of someone running 100m, say its 9.84 s. Did that runner actually run it in exactly 9.84s? Absolutely not. Usually a device means that the measurement occurs within the range 9.835-9.845 s. Okay now say that you have two people that ran the 100m and the stop watch reads 9.84 and 9.84. They have the same time but did they actually cross the finish line at exactly the same time. Most certainly not. If the OP indeed did what to group them by who finished within one hundreth of a second of each other, then by assuming the world record is 9.80 s, the 7000th group would have the OP running a time of 79.8 s. This whole conversation reeks of stupidity and people smoking too much pot.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Theres no way it could be consistent like that.First off let me say I hope this isnt going to be a flame thing where we call each other idiots because it is well established that im an idiot, And im just trying to enjoy this topic and i have no negative opinions of you..
Second they time athletes to the (100) hundreth of a second.
But most importantly how could it possibly be accurate to infinity?DO you think that you would run 12.450003452 every single time or is there a chance that would vary everytime?maybe you run 12.450003451 next time....

[/ QUOTE ]
Bryce, how old are you? Just curious. I have faith in you still my boy. You humor me for some reason. I like you. You need to understand what measurement means. When you take a measurement of someone running 100m, say its 9.84 s. Did that runner actually run it in exactly 9.84s? Absolutely not. Usually a device means that the measurement occurs within the range 9.835-9.845 s. Okay now say that you have two people that ran the 100m and the stop watch reads 9.84 and 9.84. They have the same time but did they actually cross the finish line at exactly the same time. Most certainly not. If the OP indeed did what to group them by who finished within one hundreth of a second of each other, then by assuming the world record is 9.80 s, the 7000th group would have the OP running a time of 79.8 s. This whole conversation reeks of stupidity and people smoking too much pot.

[/ QUOTE ]THATS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID IVE BEEN MAKING FUN OF TIE GROUPS ALL ALONG.WHERE DID YOU MISINTERPRET THAT?
Old 04-15-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This whole conversation reeks of stupidity and people smoking too much pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh come on, not the whole conversation [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And totally, not ALL of kenya is fast. Only the ones you see on National Geographic The Channel. There have to be a few of them out there that are slow. What about the unhealthy ones? I don't think they're running ANYWHERE in 7000th tie group place, let alone 566 thousandth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go directly to the nearest institution of higher learning, and sign up for the first statistics course available.

The 7000th tie group? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If there are 5 of us in a free throw contest, and 4 of us make 10 out of 10, and you make 1 out of 10, did you come in 2nd or 5th?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And totally, not ALL of kenya is fast. Only the ones you see on National Geographic The Channel. There have to be a few of them out there that are slow. What about the unhealthy ones? I don't think they're running ANYWHERE in 7000th tie group place, let alone 566 thousandth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go directly to the nearest institution of higher learning, and sign up for the first statistics course available.

If there are 5 of us in a free throw contest, and 4 of us make 10 out of 10, and you make 1 out of 10, did you come in 2nd or 5th?

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOO DO NOT BRING THIS TOPIC BACK I SAID A LOT OF STUPID THINGS IT.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't figure out which version was more idiotic.. the "I'm the 7000th fastest person in the world" or "damn, gotta cover up... 7000th, uh, tie group in the world"
Old 04-15-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Kenya??

Why is everyone talking about Kenya? Has a single world class sprinter ever come out of Kenya? They're distance runners over there. The pure speed all comes from Western Africa.