Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Televised Poker is the WORST

So I am flipping through the channels, and I am surprised to see green felt with two hands face-up (all-in situation) on the YES network. Poker on YES? Fine with me. The hands: A5o vs. 83o. At first I thought I was watching Celebrity Poker Challenge. Next hand, we have Larry Levy (Wall Street trader) holding KTo (one spade) vs. Tonio Scali, NY screenwriter/pro poker player (heyooo!) holding JJ. Tonio moves in, Mr. Levy calls without batting an eye. When all the cards were out, it was T, spade, spade, spade, spade. Frush! I obviously watched more, amazed by the wacky plays and classic hands courtesy of the Party Poker Poker Challenge.

There is some good stuff on occasionally. But for the most part, the non-playing general public must think that this game is joke played by a bunch of donks with money wearing goofy sunglasses and golf hats.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch a series of all-in hands courtesy of ESPN. [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Televised Poker is the WORST

Most definitely, but that perception by the public is fine, more fish. "ah lost again, unlucky cards"

I restrict my viewing of poker to exclude any celebrity/non-poker pro show/ or freeroll for poker pros (except Tournament of Champions)

For the best poker I've seen to date, watch Poker at the Plaza (won by Negraneau) 2003 I think. The stacks were very deep, there was a variety of hands, and Howard Lederer did a masterclass job as analyst. I can see why on Greensteins site, a comment is made that many pro's would prefer HL not be a tv analyst, he is too good.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:30 PM

I totaly agree. Plaza with Daniel was 2004 though. I said this before but Plaza 2004 where Daniel wins and American poker championship 2004 among the best poker ever broadcasted. American poker championship has same deep stacks and commentators as Plaza. American poker championship also shows ALL hands.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:52 PM

nothing beat late-night poker on channel 4 over here.

oh channel 4, why did you pull a low budget show in an off-peak slot that pulled a regular 1 million viewers?

interesting fact of the day, late night poker was doing under table cameras years before the WPT 'invented' the idea.

Phill
Old 04-15-2005, 03:02 PM

I agree. They used to show it here in the States on FSN, and it was always one of my favorites. No fluff, no gimmicks, just poker. Also, Barney Boatman's combination of poker knowledge and dry wit made him one of my favorite announcers (behind only Howard L). Too bad ESPN can't hire him to replace Norman Chad.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:24 PM

Seen every episode I came across of it, not a keeper for me though, but good enough to watch. I like the players and the commentators of it (Jesse and Barney). Lots of Hendon mobbers and good european players.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Barney Boatman's combination of poker knowledge and dry wit made him one of my favorite announcers (behind only Howard L)

[/ QUOTE ]

Howard has to be one of the best; he's extremely insightful but not boring. He doesn't dress up the game like a lot of these guys do. Most importantly, he's a player.

I actually heard one of those announcers commentating the Party Poker Poker Challenge refer to (the specific hand) KJo as a "straight draw." I have to say, as far as knowing nothing about the game, and getting paid to commentate, that's a good deal. "Yeah, when's the gig? Tomorrow night? Yeah, just get me a copy of Phil's "Play Like the Pro's" and I'll be fine." [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 05:19 PM

Obviously you guys have never witnessed Kyle Petty's awesome poker skills on the speed network...... [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]