Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 11:21 PM

Default A simple leak i need plugged

very simple one guys, i need a plan for this scenerio. Background: I'm a 10/20 - 20/40 player. Middle position raiser tight aggressive (not super tight) I'm in a late position no one but the raiser in the pot. I hold AJ off. I have often been 3 betting, starting to think this is the wrong play, should I be folding? <font color="#666666"> </font>
Old 04-14-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Re: A simple leak i need plugged

If you aren't comfortable that AJo is better than his range of hands there, then it's ok to fold, but against many 3-betting is a better option if you are on the button or in the cutoff.

Would he raise A7s there? QJo? JTs? If yes, then it's an easy raise, if not, then it depends on just what he is raising with. This is why it's so important to pay attention when you aren't in the hand so you can get a feel for this sort of thing.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:42 AM

i am here to solve your complicated problems... when a good and tight player raises in mp, and it is folded to you in lp with AJo you have an easy fold. this is clearly the most profitable play... therefore it is the best one.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:41 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Fold.

b
Old 04-15-2005, 08:28 AM

Easy fold.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:56 AM

AJo doesn't have to "beat" villian's range of hands, it simply has to somehow compete, given the potential dead money in the blinds (50% of hero's 3-bet investment) and hero's superior position.

It's the same reason people 3-bet EP raises with AQo, even against loose EP raisors with a AKo-AJo, ATs, KQo and AA-88, AQo is less than even money.

At the same time, this EP raisor should feel very uneasy about being 3-bet by a guy whose minimum demand is AQo, for obvious reasons, unless he is holding a total monster.

Lars
Old 04-15-2005, 11:00 AM

That being said, I don't think AJo is 3-betable in the situation described.

Lars
Old 04-15-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AJo doesn't have to "beat" villian's range of hands, it simply has to somehow compete, given the potential dead money in the blinds (50% of hero's 3-bet investment) and hero's superior position.

It's the same reason people 3-bet EP raises with AQo, even against loose EP raisors with a AKo-AJo, ATs, KQo and AA-88, AQo is less than even money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really don't want to be any worse than even money because sometimes, even in the cutoff or on the button, you will run into a hand like AK, AA-JJ that has you in trouble. That's where you need the position and dead money. Plus, you don't always get the dead money in there as people can be very zealous defending their blinds. The concept of being better than the range of hands is a sound one.

Also, I think the original post said the open raiser was in MP, not EP. That's a big difference.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP said : Middle position raiser tight aggressive (not super tight)

How is this an easy fold? He didn't even say early middle, just middle.

If on the cuttoff or button with his AJo, I think he still needs to know the answer to the range of hands question I mentioned in my first post. Without knowing that, it's difficult to answer. But either way, I doubt it's likely to be an "easy fold" to a tight aggressive who isn't overly tight open raising in MP, which to me is 3 off the button, 4 at the most.

UTG
UTG+1
EP
EMP
MP
LMP
CO
Button
Old 04-15-2005, 12:25 PM

I think that folding or three betting is generally the correct play here....leaning towards folding due to the possibility of being dominated or being up against a pocket pair. However, what about a line of just calling preflop...and raising any flop?