Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Truan Lee and Barry Greenstein as mentor?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it was Barry Greenstein run amok.. senseless, reckless aggression. did he ever make a call when he was ahead in the hand? all I remember are the suckouts

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are not far off. I told Tuan to take advantage of the "final table" fear that the other players would have. He probably didn't make the same plays I would have on many of the hands. But he did pick up a high percentage of the pots on hands that weren't shown. He's a young, dangerous player, and he will get better.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

your observations on his current play and his potential to get better may all be true, but does telling him to take advantage of the fear at the final table make you his mentor? sounds to me like you just simply gave him some advice.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it was Barry Greenstein run amok.. senseless, reckless aggression. did he ever make a call when he was ahead in the hand? all I remember are the suckouts

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are not far off. I told Tuan to take advantage of the "final table" fear that the other players would have. He probably didn't make the same plays I would have on many of the hands. But he did pick up a high percentage of the pots on hands that weren't shown. He's a young, dangerous player, and he will get better.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

your observations on his current play and his potential to get better may all be true, but does telling him to take advantage of the fear at the final table make you his mentor? sounds to me like you just simply gave him some advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, once you give someone advice, you become their mentor.

The definition of mentor that dictionary.com is:

A wise and trusted counselor or teacher.

So, This qualifies BarryG as a mentor.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been giving Tuan advice on life and poker for the last few years. I let him read my book right before the Foxwoods tournament. He called me at almost every break the last two days of the event. He called me his mentor, so I guess he feels I have taught him a lot.

A side note: Nam Le is Tuan's best friend, not his brother.
Barry
Old 04-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Tuan Lee and Barry Greenstein as mentor?

Barry,

How do you feel about Tuan Le's chances to succeed at high-limit poker now that he has a bankroll? He appeared to take a large loss in the 400/800 game on "Live at the Bike" last week.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:20 AM

you dont win tournaments by playing safe, you must take risks & get lucky at some point to win, look at moneymaker & raymer in the WSOP
Old 04-15-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A side note: Nam Le is Tuan's best friend, not his brother.
Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then in that case, someone needs to tell the WPT people to get their facts straight. The caption under Nam Le always said "Tuan's brother" and on the WPT webpage they give this description of Nam: poker tyro & younger brother of recent WPT Foxwoods champion Tuan Le.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:20 PM

WPT would never fabricate or distort the truth in order to have a better storyline...