Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Flopped-Set Slow Play

.10/.25 Party NL 6 Max, 4 players at table. I am BB with 7-7 and all players limp to me. I check and flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I want to trap CO player who has been aggro since sitting down, so I check the flopped set. CO checks, and the rest of the table checks around.

Turn is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I now bet $2 into a $1 pot. Every player calls.

River is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check. CO bets $3, Button folds, SB raises to $6, I fold, CO calls.

SB shows K high spade flush, CO doesn't show, but he prob. had nada.

Should I have bet out on the flop with so many players? When I'm in early position, I like to trap with a flopped set and a rainbow board. 2x pot bet on the turn was clearly not enough to price out the flush draws, but I don't think I get any callers/value with a bigger bet off the turn.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Flopped-Set Slow Play

Ugh, why do I answer these anymore? Yes you need to bet the flop when it's that multi-way despite the board. We need to place a FAQ in small stakes about slowplaying multi-way pots.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:24 PM

Yeah, thanks for the smug answer. Anyway, I was trying to trap a specific player, but he uncharacteristically didn't take a shot at the pot, so I got screwed by the second spade. I kind of know it was stupid, but what the hell, there's nothing like trapping a maniac.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:55 PM

You really need to bet the flop. Not to protect your hand or anything, as it's very unlikely that you're going to be outdrawn, but because you need to build this pot on the flop, since you're almost certainly going to win it.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:40 PM

Gotta fast play'em!

-Dimitri