Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 03:29 AM

Default How weak tight am I???

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (9 handed) converter

SB (t3600)
Hero (t23430)
UTG (t29525)
UTG+1 (t14475)
MP1 (t32890)
MP2 (t8450)
MP3 (t29752)
CO (t9250)
Button (t11275)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of t300.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t600, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t600, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t2400) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: (t2400) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t1000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t2000</font>, SB folds, Hero folds, UTG+1 calls t1000.

River: (t6400) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: t6400

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+1 has 9d Kd (one pair, nines).
MP3 has As 4h (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP3 wins t6400. </font>

How would you have played it? MP3 was an absolute maniac and had built his stack making very questionable plays after the rebuy period ended. Honestly when he reraised I got scared he had a straight already or two pair. After seeing the showdown I almost puked but such is life. I realize now I should have maybe bet the flop and definitely bet the turn. Anything else I screwed up? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: How weak tight am I???

If you don't bet this flop after playing ATo, what flop do you bet on? The stacks are fairly deep in comparison to blinds, find out where you are. I bet out 1200-1500 on the flop and go from there.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:11 AM

I know, I know... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

In my defense I was in the BB with no raise behind. I post these lame hands mostly so I remember them well after all the inevitable public ridicule.

It didn't hurt me too badly overall and I did cash in this tourney but a little more ammo for use later on would have made stealing easier and I might have made it a bit deeper...

Cashed out a lot of my bank lately to pay taxes and promptly went on a no cash losing streak. Now my online bank is low and I am playing differently. Classic poker psychology problem. Can't really move down from $10 rebuys though.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:34 PM

I think that you need to bet 1/2 pot on flop. Given what you said about MP3 I don't think you can give him credit for having something better than you at this point. You have top pair and a decent kicker. MP3 could easily have A-rag.

I think you could come over the top for 5k and see what happens. I also think that a call here would be okay as well with the intent of getting more of his money on the river.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't bet this flop after playing ATo, what flop do you bet on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that one.

It's a QJ9 board. Think it may've hit one of the other three people in this pot, just a tad? Do you like the position you are in? Do you want to call a raise?

Of course you check the flop. Then, you bet the turn and call a small raise, but first you check the flop and I don't think it's close.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:18 PM

Yes, you have to check the flop here.

Your opponents seem pretty loose. What is UTG+1 doing betting when the ace hits and then calling the raise apparently with an inside straight draw. The raise with TPNK on that board seems loose also.

I may be weak tight too, but I might have played the hand as you did.

What buyin is this? It seems like pretty low buyin.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:38 PM

I definitely feel I should have half pot bet on the turn and if I had, I would have knocked out UTG+1 and gotten a call from the maniac. I may or may not have gotten him to call a river bet with all the danger on the board, but I would have won the pot.

It was a $10 rebuy &amp; addon. It was probably an hour and a half or two hours into the tourney so it was still pretty loose and some it seems hadn't yet fully adjusted to the rebuy period being over. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

On a side note: I won the next $10 R&amp;A I played that night and that one was signifigantly tougher. Paradise has a leader board finally and I had number 2 and 4 ranked on the board directly to my left most of the tourney. I ended up busting number 2 at the final table. I didn't play weak tight that tourney. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]