Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2003, 03:57 PM

Default Beware the fish have ears

Playing last night on line. Two players, one good regular one good but ABC who just waits for fish to get out of line. Making slightly derogatory comments and talking a little strategy but mostly talking how much monney they've made in the last year. Now the fish aren't the best poker players but that dosent mean they are stupid. I think most of the players that read these two are at least going think a little more and probably not going to give them as much action. You cant even say anything or it gives away even more [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] There i got that off my chest gl and BEWARE THE FISH [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Mark
Old 02-24-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Beware the fish have ears

Yup, if professor ABC will keep lecturing he'll soon bust and will be sleeping with the fish.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:00 PM

Generally I think players who disparage, lecture or complain about how 'bad' someone is playing are not good players themselves. They may have good poker sense and have read a book or two, but discouraging bad players is just plain dumb. Needling someone who appears to be playing well in an effort to get him off his game has it merits, but not really. Needling anyone tends to make most people at the table uncomfortable. I notice when this occurs (online), the game tightens up, people start leaving and the game goes bad quick.

Encouraging bad play in a kind and friendly manner is much better. It benefits your game which is what you should be focusing on. I often enter the proverbial "nh" to the winner when it's obvious that it was a real sucker play to win. By the same token, I congratulate a player who makes a great play, calls my bluff or even if they show their bluff after they made me fold the best hand. So compliments are evenly distributed and the fish still don’t realize they are making mistakes.

Complaining about your own luck is a great thing too. "Woe is me [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] " type of banter is an excellent way to portray a tilting image. Or agreeing with erroneous statements works to encourage the weak and deceive the strong.

Whatever comments that you type into that chat field should benefit your own game. Any negativity directed at another player generally defeats that purpose and is very often counter productive. IMHO
Old 02-24-2003, 05:41 PM

Well said KDF.

Congatulating someone who shows their bluff goes in the "nh to a bad play" category. Now that he's shown it and you have congatulated him he may try again. IMHO a big mistake to show a bluff unless you intend to not do it again.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:02 PM

In my experience, Beraters and educators are not only bad for the game but they are usually not very good players either.

I like being the benign mediator.

One day some guy ran me down with 47o making 2 pair at the river. I typed in nh and mucked my aces. An educator quickly jumped in and said, "nh? you gotta be nuts, 47o is crap". To which I replied, "2 pair in Texas Holdem is a very nice hand. It's hard to beat 2 pair." He says, "yeah but 47o?" Of course I said, "2 pair is two pair, who cares how big?". About 10 minutes later I showed 2 pair, 6's and 7's against the educators KK and reiterated, "see? 2 pair is two pair" He left the game. I missed him. NOT

HC
Old 02-25-2003, 05:42 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
He left the game. I missed him. NOT

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss his money?

--&gt;Just pulling your chain. Good post.&lt;--