Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Omaha SNGs on Party

I just discovered that party has SNGs for omaha and O/8. Does anyone have any experience with them? Easy or hard? Tight or fishie loose? Any pointers or information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Omaha SNGs on Party

ive played maybe 10 total, the 10$+1 most of them were easy, but two times i ended up with rocks and we just sat till the blinds got huge
Old 04-14-2005, 03:10 AM

I too have found them to be a mixed bag. Haven't found much problem moneying, but the blind structure isn't adjusted for Omaha, so you end up with 200/400 blinds with 8000 chips total, and from there it comes down to one or two hands, typically.

I'd expect 2-3 tough players, 4 iffy ones, and 2-3 ATM's or so per tourney...
Old 04-14-2005, 09:31 AM

I agree completely with this.

By playing VERY tight for the first 3 rounds, you basically get yourself to the top 6.

If you get lucky and pick up a hand or two at that point that scoops...you will almost certainly get in the money.

The blinds are a problem though. It always seems to come down to who gets lucky near the end.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just discovered that party has SNGs for omaha and O/8. Does anyone have any experience with them? Easy or hard? Tight or fishie loose? Any pointers or information will be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been several threads on this recently, here and in the 1-table tournament forum. The search function is not great, but it does work.

The O/8 section of SS2 has some good stuff, including a discussion of short-handed play, which is not usually talked about elsewhere.

Party and most other O/8 S&Gs are limit. In the early rounds you need to play standard tight O/8, just like in a ring game, if not tighter. Remember that there are more "early" rounds in O/8 than in HE S&Gs, because opponents rarely get knocked out in the first 3-4 rounds. The big switch is that once you get down to about 4 players, you are in a game that plays a lot more like no-limit. With the big blinds and short stacks, the game turns into the same push-in/steal-the-blinds strategy of NLHE S&Gs. And the starting hand requirements loosen up significantly (again, SS2). You can play a lot of crap here that you would never see the flop with in ring games or early rounds. Middle cards are playable and 2nd or 3rd nut lows often hold up. Heads-up, there is often no low, and the high hand scoops.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:57 PM

I've played a small number of 10+1 limit O/8's at Party. My experience is pretty similar to others. There will likely be anywhere from 3-7 clueless calling stations at your table. All you can really do the first few levels is play tight and let the fish eat each other. If you pick up a premium scoop hand and can score a big scoop or two, you are home free and will be in great shape to win or at least money.
If nothing happens the first few levels, you'll be down to about 5-6 players when the blinds start getting onerous. If the tight-ass rocks who don't change their game are at your left, change gears and steal whenever you can. If some calling station or maniac got lucky and has the big stack, then you'll probably be eventually forced to commit yourself to any reasonable hand (not just a monster) and hope they have crap.
If you are lucky enough to have the big stack, then just play solid against loose players and steal from the weak-tights until they blind themselves away.

I haven't played any PLO/8. PLO SNGs tend to have more maniacs than limit 0/8.