Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: My First Year as an Underage Poker Player (Long)

Nice post. I don't agree with all of it, but it does give us all something to think about.

I am 20 btw, and I have played online (obviously) and at Commerce before.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:14 PM

By making this post I was not trying to say "Hey, I can my X amount of money by playing poker underage and so can you!" I am not trying to promote other people to play like I do. I don't support underage gambling. Winning at online poker takes alot of discipline that 99% of people my age do not have. I haven't got any of my friends into playing online. Although many have asked I have always say no without thinking twice about it.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:24 PM

Maybe could have avoided all this by leaving the "underage" part out of the title...oh well [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2005, 09:25 PM

I agree with everything you say Forbin but just place yourself in someone elses shoes. Imagine you are a 16 or 17 year old, pretty smart, level headed, and start to get into poker and you gain the ability to make this kind of money. It would be very hard for I think any teenager to turn this down. I took a break to get away from it for a couple months but I always new I would be coming back because I was simply giving up too much by not playing. When you have the ability to make $50/hr when anyother job at that moment is going to be paying you a max of $10/hr it starts to change your mindset.

Also, for people like me and Ogre it is a great way to get a headstart in life. Think of how much easier it would be to get off your feet once you get out of college if you have 100k to put towards a house, a car, a wife, or family.

But like I said in my last post, I do not support underage gambling because 90% of high school students are to stupid, cocky, impatient, and unfocused for poker. You have to be good enough for the positive effects to outweigh the negative effects that come along with poker.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But like I said in my last post, I do not support underage gambling because 90% of high school students are to stupid, cocky, impatient, and unfocused for poker. You have to be good enough for the positive effects to outweigh the negative effects that come along with poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be too much of a nit here, but saying 90% of high schoolers don't have the maturity, intelligence, attitude, etc. to be successful at poker is probably a huge underestimation. I'd say the number is probably closer to 99%. I'd say only about 10% of the entire general public has the intellectual makeup to be a winning poker player, and that it would be a much smaller percentage among high schoolers.

I'm only turning 20 next week myself, so it's not like I'm some old angry guy saying this to all the young punks. I was in high school just a couple years ago, I remember the poker games I had in high school, I see the poker games that go on on college campuses. The dedication, intelligence, and ability to put your ego aside that are necessary just aren't there in most people. You and Ogre are special cases like you said, and I wish you continued success, but like many people have said, there are very few people I'd advise to start playing as more than just a hobby.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:59 PM

I agree, I was just tossing out a number there. id say it is somewhere between 95% and 99%. I don't have to much respect for the average high school student [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2005, 10:13 PM

If I had any idea the reception for an underage poker player would be this warm i would have written "My first 9 months as an underage poker player" some time ago. Congratulations on the sucess Ogre, maybe it carry over to your second year.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:54 PM

if i had that much money when i was your age i would go and buy every single lego set at the local toy store

i would then sleep in the pile of legos

p.s. - it's been said before, but seriously use the money + brains + older brother advantage to start hooking up with hot chicks
Old 04-13-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i had that much money when i was your age i would go and buy every single lego set at the local toy store

i would then sleep in the pile of legos

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom Smykowski: It's a "Jump to Conclusions Mat". You see, you have this mat, with different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.

Michael Bolton: That is the worst idea I've ever heard.

Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:53 PM

Congrats. I turned 18 last month and finished my 7 month underage poker playing career. So far I have paid for my truck and a year of college and still have a healthy 15/30 roll. My goal is to have all 4+ years of college paid for before I go in fall. My advice to you: play well, play more limit, do well in school, and do well with chicks. Also, don't tell too many people about this.