Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: 80/160 GAME AT BELLAGIO

I wish I could ever reach the Buddha-like state you describe. But as it is, I'm still too much attached to that damned thing in the middle of the table.

Forever learning,

Ikke.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went scrolling to the end, hoping you hadn't posted the results yet.

I think the right play against a very good player is to fold to the checkraise on the river. A very good player is way more likely to go nine-bets on the turn with a huge draw than with second set. And if you're the type (as I am) who would never go nine-bets there without pocket queens, and if the very good player suspects that you are that type of player, then when I put it all together, it's a no-brainer fold on the river. You can't have the best hand anymore.

Tommy

[/ QUOTE ]

But the very good player (with something like an overplayed lower set) would also know that the only chance they have to win this pot is to get you to fold. Can they get you to do it more than once in twelve times through a checkraise?

Or, from your perspective, given that they have checkraised the river, is there at least a one in twenty six chance that said pro is trying the above move?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:23 PM

Don't learn from that advice. It's poor. If there is even the slightest sliver of a chance he could have JJ or something else, a call is RESOUNDINGLY correct. The only way I could be 100% positive here is if he turned his flush faceup while I'm pondering a call. Folding on the river here would be a big mistake.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2005, 06:52 PM

If you're going to fold to a raise why bet the river?

PokerPrince
Old 04-13-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the right play against a very good player is to fold to the checkraise on the river. A very good player is way more likely to go nine-bets on the turn with a huge draw than with second set. And if you're the type (as I am) who would never go nine-bets there without pocket queens, and if the very good player suspects that you are that type of player, then when I put it all together, it's a no-brainer fold on the river. You can't have the best hand anymore.

Tommy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

You are going to fold top set in a 10000BB pot for 1 more bet?

Never.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:12 PM

I think that most of you get this...there are 26 big bets in on the river when he check raises me...for 1 more bet...I call without question...otherwise yes, i would not bet the river if i were to fold to a check raise.

On another note, he check raised a buddy of mine the next night on the river with 5 high when my friend had nut-no-pair...many of these pots are won with Ace high...
i will not fold this hand.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't learn from that advice. It's poor. If there is even the slightest sliver of a chance he could have JJ or something else, a call is RESOUNDINGLY correct. The only way I could be 100% positive here is if he turned his flush faceup while I'm pondering a call. Folding on the river here would be a big mistake.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeff, this is absolutely correct...
thanks..
Old 04-13-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there is even the slightest sliver of a chance

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is only the slightest sliver of a chance that he is ahead, then this is an easy fold.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to fold to a raise why bet the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

To get paid off by a worse hand.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Tommy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Folding is absurd.