Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 04:11 PM

Default What is the luck/skill ratio to be....

a successful MTT player. I have had my share of success in tourney's. Several final table and can get in the money if things go my way.

If success in a MTT is based on luck and skill. What is the split a little luck and a lot of skill?

What is the ratio? 40/60, 30/70

Saying there is no luck is a bit nieve. You have to win a few hands when you are behind to make it though a large field.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: What is the luck/skill ratio to be....

I'd say 60/40.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:29 PM

i see it as 60/40

look at the early chip leaders- unless they tighten up their flopped sets, open enders that hit, flush draws that come in will stop, and when they do these people bottom out.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:41 PM

What does that mean??

60/40 luck/skill?

Obviously it's possible to win a tournament with no skill but lots of luck. Obviously it's also impossible to win a tournament with lots of skill but no luck. But you cannot put numbers to it like this, it makes no sense.

All you can say is that certain players have an edge. While some random guy might have a 0.5% chance of winning a 100 person tournament, you might have a 2% chance. So you have an edge.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:14 PM

60 luck 40 skill. Skill is very important, but the luck(coinflip) factor is huge in tournaments.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
60 luck 40 skill. Skill is very important, but the luck(coinflip) factor is huge in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say about 65..SKILL, and 35 luck. Winning coiners is big, but dodging them is even bigger. Taking chips in better positions is the secret of the game, not just doubling up, or other positions where you are all in pf against an opponent.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:48 PM

I agree that it's probably closer to 65/35 in favor of skill. If it wasn't tilted onto the skill side you wouldn't see all these well known pros making final tables all the time. I think people think that luck makes all the difference because all they remember are all the outdraws they see.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that it's probably closer to 65/35 in favor of skill. If it wasn't tilted onto the skill side you wouldn't see all these well known pros making final tables all the time. I think people think that luck makes all the difference because all they remember are all the outdraws they see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Luck can only get you so far. Even if you got deep in a mtt from pure luck, there's a lot of play/skill needed for the rest.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:14 PM

60/40 luck
Old 04-13-2005, 08:27 PM

90/10 Luck over skill. Dudes, MTTs are out of our hands - we are not in control. Skill comes in every once in a while to save us from a potentially disasterous decision, but we are bounced along by the vagaries of luck. True, skill infects every decision, and some players consistently make the wrong choice (over bet good PF hands, bet big only when they pair, call, etc.) But it is luck that has us by the balls. Why do good players consistently finish out of the money? If skill were so crucial, shouldn't (insert name here) finish ITM at least a majority of the time? Instead, good players are losing 80% of the time or more.

I will agree that luck can only take you so far, but "so far" can be finishing first in 400 man tourney - I've seen it. And skill really doesn't do that much for you. The edge you pick up by being one full standard deviation above the pack is so small. The players between 1 and 2 SDs are your break-even players (IMHO). You must between 2 and 3 SDs, to be profitable (top 5%). If that isn't a huge argument for luck over skill... Of course, I pulled these numbers out of my azz... but remember you have to beat the 10% rake, and I think that only the top 5% can do that to a degree to be called "profitable" not "break-even." I'm rambling - this is a now a question for another thread (the same thread we've seen a thousand times). I'm gonna post now, and let you all ponder this drivle.

CSC