Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: 87 s - gets worse every street - good fold?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tom sed: I'm not sure I like your flop raise because you drive out opponents (and you will probably win if you connect so I don't see much protection value)

[/ QUOTE ]Flair sed: There are other potential benefits of the raise, besides value. Namely, buying the button and getting a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but if you lose a couple of callers, you may lose more than you save by getting a free card on the turn. With a gutshot and a flush draw, you are probably going to win if you complete and lose if you don't. You have no high cards to buy outs for.

As it was, the button stayed and he lost two other callers so if this was the plan it backfired, but our hero bet the turn anyway. Maybe this bet is good for value with 12 outs. Seems to e it would have been better value if there were more callers left.

But anyway, the turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] was the worst card that could have come. It makes a flush draw for clubs, makes a straight for 98 or AK, and now hero's gutshot 9 makes a higher straight for any King. For this reason, maybe checking the turn wouldn't be such a bad idea.

The river card 9 is a club so this hand is just going to hell in a handbasket as your subject says.

Probably I'd call the river but would expect to lose. You may win it 1 time in 12 though.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they ONLY reason to raise the flop, imo, is to get a free card (which, once the button coldcalls, you no longer have position to do anyway). Attempt to take the free card. FWIW, i wouldn't raise this flop, but could be terribly wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boo. Flush draw, and a gut shot. It's a raise for value.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:24 PM

your flop and turn play contradict each other.
you raised the flop, knocking out opponents, and then bet the turn when you don't have favorable equity.
you should have either called the flop, keeping everyone in, then you could MAYBE bet the turn if checked to for value (if everyone was still in), or raised the flop like you did and take your free card.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they ONLY reason to raise the flop, imo, is to get a free card (which, once the button coldcalls, you no longer have position to do anyway). Attempt to take the free card. FWIW, i wouldn't raise this flop, but could be terribly wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I don't like the flop raise at all. You're narrowing the field (when you want those players in b/c of your draw situation) and you're hurting your pot odds, having now put 2 bets into a pot where you only needed to put in one.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:36 PM

I like the flop raise.
Check/call the turn UI.
I'd overcall this river. Button may just be taking a stab at the pot after being checked to with a 4 straight on the board. You do have the ass end of the straight, but I think your hand is going to be good atleast once in 12 times.