Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Final Table question

There are 6 remaining in a tourney. You are comfortably sitting 3rd in chips with roughly 100k. Two big stacks have between 175k and 215k. The remaining 3 all have less than 35k. Blinds are at 4k - 6k. Two big stacks sit in the small and big blind. You are UTG+2.

You are dealt AK off and raise to 18k. It comes around to the small blind who goes all in.

Do you call or muck?
Old 04-13-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Final Table question

Whats the payout structure?

-Gryph
Old 04-13-2005, 11:33 AM

Sorry.

2500 First
1500 Second
954 Third
650 Forth
550 Fifth
450 Six
350 Seventh
Old 04-13-2005, 11:55 AM

Reads are very important here. Have you been very aggressive about stealing the blinds? Is he loose or tight? Does this seem like blind defense or monster hand or mid pp?
Old 04-13-2005, 11:57 AM

Easy call. You're getting 3:2 odds with only 2 hands that you're afraid of. It's more likely he's pushing with 99-JJ,AK or AQ.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:04 PM

Depends on the read. If you've been stealing a lot and think he's just fed up with it, then he could be pushing with something like QJ. If he's been playing tight and picking his spots, then I'd be more cautious.

I assume that since this was posted that you called and he flipped over aces or kings and you took 6th. First off, congrats. Secondly, you're a coinflip against all those two hands and backing into another couple hundred isn't the way to go unless you really really need the money. Call and go for first.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy call. You're getting 3:2 odds with only 2 hands that you're afraid of. It's more likely he's pushing with 99-JJ,AK or AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this reply, is AK is behind 99-JJ, it is even behind 22. You get yourself in a race situation if he shows a PP(where you start off behind in the race), but it is not a 50/50 coin flip. Now you may have the pot-odds to overcome what you are behind mathematically, but your tourney life would be on the line, so pot odds are less important IMO.

Even if your stated goal 'is to win it outright' and not limp to a higher payout, you may find a better spot to double up.

That said, folding AK shorthanded is incredibly weak, and laying it down PF is something that i have only rarely done.

Look at your reads -
Is the SB aggressive?
Have you seen him resteal before?
Has there been a lot of stealing at the table?
What types of hands has he shown down?
Has he slow played those big hands, or come over-the-top with them?
Do you think you would be better waiting for a different opportunity?
Will laying this down, cause you to make stupid calls in the near future? This last one is a real problem for so many people.
What is your confidence level against all the opponents? ( if low, push but if I feel I own the table laying down doesn't bother me)

These are some of the questions I ask myself in these situations.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:26 PM

Actually I took it down preflop with the raise. I however was discussing this with a friend and he asked what if one of them were to push. It would have been a tough decision and I figured I would ask the forum their thoughts.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:55 PM

Call it. Your there to win it. AK is real strong bein g 6 handed and you already commited a big chunk of the chips. Sb prob had a middle pair im guessing and was trying to muscle you. Also, in the future that late with AK make up your mind if you are willing to go all in with them pre-flop. IF you are than i woould commit a bigger raise, if your not raise a bit smaller than you did. Because u bet 20% if your stack you are semi commited making the decision harder.