Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Am I the Only One Like This?

To me, the vocals in much of my favorite metal is more like a percussion instrument than singing in any traditional sense. And that is fine with me. Most of the what the bands say is awful, hateful sh**, or so over the top violent that it is just plain stupid.

That said, I do have problems with rich rock stars singing about how hard life is, or how society is messed up or the like. Go back to your LA mansion and have a good cry.

But good, thought provoking lyrics can be a plus.

KJS
Old 04-13-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: 100 Best Real Metal CDs

If you live in Seattle, Kreator and Vader are playing on April 19th. I'll be there and it sounds like it would be up your alley too. But I prefer a band that growls over one that sings like you describe.

KJS
Old 04-13-2005, 03:02 AM

Default Re: here\'s where I get lost in the discussion

Why do you detest Phil Anselmo so much? Hell, you'd probably even like Superjoint Ritual. His range and versatility are pretty astonishing. Pantera is probably the most influential thrash band that's ever been. Those Down records were 5 [censored] dudes that went to a house, got really really fvcked up, jammed, and made a CD's worth of music. If you're into it for the art, it doesn't even get much better than that. Endless grind riffs and double blast beats with some grunting layered over it just isn't that interesting.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sweet list. this is going to keep my busy. can you guys suggest stuff that i'd like if i really like the darkest hour/caliban/at the gates type?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually haven't heard those three bands. I'd suggest Himsa, Shadows Fall, Unearth.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not sure if others are like me, but i really don't care much for what the message of a song is...i don't really care what the lyrics are for the most part...i listen to music for the mood, energy and sound...for the most part i listen to metal but i also like bands such as nightwish and some opera because i love the sounds and think they are beautiful, same with my feelings towards metal, i think the sounds are beautiful (in their own way)...if i cared too much about the lyrics and message i wouldn't be able to listen to foreign/non english songs with foreign lyrics...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much my exact take on music. In almost those exact words. Although, can't say I dig the opera.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:13 AM

A) Pantera doesn't touch Slayer in any way. That includes talent and influence.

B) I got nothing against Phil Anselmo; don't even know the guy. I have Pantera CDs. I just don't like his music that much. And I just have a chip on my shoulder for any band that plays in stadiums. More people = less intimate = less good for the audience, IMO. Throw in the fact that bigger shows = more money to produce = higher prices for fans and the whole thing just gets too annoying for words.

C) I looked for Down on Soulseek but searching on "Down" was a mess. If someone send me a link to a free MP3, I'll check it out.

KJS
Old 04-13-2005, 03:14 AM

Try Dirty Three. No vocals but truly beautiful music made by guitar, violin and drums. Start with Horse Stories.

KJS
Old 04-13-2005, 03:18 AM

PM me if you want me to send a song over AIM.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love Sabbath. I left off traditional heavy metal. It is just too hard for me to compare new crazy off the charts aggressive music with stuff like Sabbath and Maiden.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that hard for me.

Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Motorhead >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t; anything else on this list.

Glad to see The Crown snuck in there, those guys are super-evil. Bands with a limited command of English are always more entertaining.

No old Metallica? Come on dude. I know they suck now, but Master of Puppets pwns.

NT
Old 04-13-2005, 03:48 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
That and bands sell a bunch of records at K-Mart and think that gives them license to sell 7,000 tickets at $35 a piece the next time they come to town

[/ QUOTE ]

The band themselves usually aren't the one setting the price of the tickets. Btw...As long as there are people willing to buy tickets at that price and fill the room, does it matter? You blame the band for having a demand which, in effect, is a commodity?

Strike while the iron is hot. Here today, gone later today.

[ QUOTE ]
I think in general money corrupts art

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part, I agree here. Generally.

The NEA being a great example or any time the Gov. gives a grant for art. The latest being the NY art in Central Park. Though it did get people talking. The EMP sure looks like a big piece of crap.

[ QUOTE ]
So people making music with business types leaning over their shoulder with an ear to what is gonna do well in the marketplace are not for me,

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is one reason why it was so great when Nirvana broke. The music business never saw it coming. Not on that scale anyway.

oh well, it's been fun.

See ya at a table sometime?

b