Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 11:49 PM

Default playing the overpair

parypoker $1 BB NL full 10 person table
hero has Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a full $100 stack as does button
UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, folds to hero in MP who raises to $6 folds to button who calls, SB calls, everyone else folds
flop:6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks hero bets $10
button raises to $20
SB folds
hero raises to $45
button folds
what was the right thing to do there? no read on villian.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: playing the overpair

villian=button if you didn't notice
Old 04-13-2005, 12:47 AM

Reads would help alot, but a raise seems good. Decent argument for calling and seeing how he leads the turn. Your raise isn't getting rid of a draw by the way, so you can probably wait to the turn to come over the top of his bet all in or pot it after he checks. This all depends on your read of the player.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:49 AM

I was new to the table, so no reads. He has position so I don't get to see if he leads the turn. That was an amount that I could fold to a push and still not give a draw an easy look at the turn.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:22 AM

I'm split here. Some players are most likely to make this play with 88-JJ, which he doesn't raise PF but just smooth calls, hopign to play for set value. Then he flops an overpair, and thinks you are just making a continuation bet with AK/AQ. If you just smoothcall, then check a non [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] river, you may get an extra bet out of a hand you dominate. Plus if you push it might look like a bluff. OTOH, he could easily have a draw here, and playing OOP here sort of sucks, because he can easily bluff a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 4.

I guess barring a read I make the same play you did.