Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Crazy hand - AQo vs. TAG button

Set up: Villian is a tight aggressive player, but he's overly aggressive, he bets and raises everytime he's in a hand. Moreoever, the last time we were in the situation, it folded around to him and he raised from the button to steal the blinds. So this was identical to that, and I thought, "Hell, he's just trying to steal again."

This hand generated a bunch of conversation at the table aftewards and my friends were also intrigued. Interested in y'all's thoughts.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button :Villian raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button :Villian calls.

So when he called the 3-bet, I think, OK, he's got overs or a pair. Lets see what happens.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Villian calls.

So I bet to see where I stood, he raises, like he always did, so I three bet. I figured if he capped, he'd had something and I could fold. But he only called.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villian calls.

Again, I bet to see if he was willing to give up on his steal yet. And he just called. So at this point, I had no idea.

River: (8.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises</font>, Hero calls.

Now, I was just like, whatever, so i bet, he raised, and I called, figuring I was only beat by AK (I was pretty sure at this point he had face cards of some sort).

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Thoughts?

Editted to fix the river action (sorry).
Old 04-12-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Crazy hand - AQo vs. TAG button

[ QUOTE ]
Now, I was just like, whatever, so i checked, he bet, and I called, figuring I was only beat by AK (I was pretty sure at this point he had face cards of some sort).

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to elaborate more on this opponent (bets and raises every hand? PF? postflop? explain).

this sounds like an incredibly read specific hand. why can't he have 22 or TT? does he auto-raise the turn with any pair?
Old 04-12-2005, 02:26 PM

Hands: 230
VPIP: 25% (ok, so not so tight, but...)
PFR: 11%
Aggression:
Flop: 2
Turn: 4
River: 17

Most people were just eventually folding to him because of his pressure so I didn't see many of his starting hands. But the few times he got called down, he had gotten lucky and hit two pair, i.e. one time he was holding KJ and beat a guy AK, flop hit the K, other guy bet, he raised, other guy called, same on turn (no help to either), river he hit his J to win the hand and he went on to berrate the other player for his "nice call, moron"

I just thought his play this hand was total BS.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:27 PM

The river action confuses me. You say one thing but the convertor says another.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:48 PM

i know what you said with your read and i had to read others' responses because i suck at playing overcards and am generally too aggressive with them UI. with that said...

since it is HU, even if Villian is bluffing and is aggressive why not just call the bet? your raise isn't going to fold him if he is aggressive as you say, which is why i'd think you 3-bet an already HU hand...maybe?

if you call, then you have the luxury of checking the flop regardless. then you can fold, or if you feel like being very aggressive c/r the flop. seems to acheive the same results.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:57 PM

So I bet to see where I stood, he raises, like he always did, so I three bet.

How can you bet to see where you stand against a guy who will auto raise? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

You make information bets aginst ABC type players who will raise if you are beat and fold if you are ahead. Against tricky players or LAGs, these bets suck since the info you get is often times unreliable. It sounds to me like you are playing against a maniac and should go right toward a calldown strategy if miss the board. Here is some interesting ish...

990 games 0.005 secs 198,000 games/sec

Board: 9d 4h 5c 8s 4s
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 48.5354 % [ 00.48 00.00 ] { AhQd }
Hand 2: 51.4646 % [ 00.51 00.00 ] { random }

You are almost the favorite to be ahead on the river. Not that you should go wild here, but you certainly have enough equity to check and call him down to the river. You have way to much hand to give in against a guy whose goal in life is to move you off a hand. If you do make a pair of aces or queens, feel free to commence spray. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Brad