Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2003, 07:09 AM

Default Johnny Moss v Nick the Greek

Johnny Moss lost a $500,000 five card stud pot to Nick the Greek in Vegas in 1949. An account of this appears either in Anthony Holden's 'Big Deal' or Al Alvarez' 'The Biggest Game In Town', I cannot remember which.

Does anyone know if there are any other accounts of this famous hand of five stud? Does an account of this hand appear in the book, 'Johnny Moss: Poker's Finest' by Don Jenkins?

Let me thank everyone in advance for their replies.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Johnny Moss v Nick the Greek

I believe the best account is in Fast Company by jon Bradshaw.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:26 PM

Dear Phat Mack,

At this time this is the only way I know how to communicate with you. A short while ago I opened an email on my AOL account listed as from a Phat Mack. I think the Internet provider listed had the name "Bigfoot " associated with it. Immediately after opening this email, my Norton virus program detected two viruses, namely Klez worm type viruses and that it could not remove them. I am now in the process of running the Norton antivirus program to try to remove this virus. If I can’t do that then I guess I’ll have to run a special Norton antivirus program to remove them (I’ve done this before).

I know that you “Pat” are probably not even aware of this dirty trick that somebody is pulling on some of us. That is I know that you had nothing to do with this. There are some dirty trick people out there who get other people’s email addresses and have the ability to sent email as though it came from a trusted friend or trusted chat email friend. About two months ago, I received an email from the email address of a dear friend – there was no message but I got the W32.Klez virus. My friend did not send this email – at the time it was sent, she was teaching a science class at a high school in Downey, CA.

Hopefully I’m the only guy who received this email with the Klez virus. But if not, then it would be helpful if you or TwoplusTwo warned people to be very careful when opening email from people listed on TwoPlusTwo. After running Norton antivirus….

The Norton antivirus found the virus and identified it as: W32.Klez,H@mm. pu.scr

The file was listed as pu.zip on the hard drive directory. I guess that the computer genius that sent it thinks that it is cute to give the file name as “PU”.
Norton antivirus could not delete the virus: so I quarantined the file and then deleted it. Hopefully it is gone.

Most warn (I mean warm 8-)) regards,
Carl Heinz cwjhein@aol.com

PS please warm Buzz about this potential problem -- I will as soon as I email him. Thank you....
Old 02-19-2003, 05:56 PM

Thanks for pointing this out. Beginning last October, I started getting these e-mails when they bounced back from bad addresses. I contacted Bigfoot, but there is nothing I can do. Someone stole my address - I assume from RGP since 2+2 doesn't publish it. I hadn't got any bounce-backs for three months, so I had assumed that they had moved to a different stolen address. Sorry to hear they are still at it. I run Unix so I was never able to determine what was in these emails.

I am deactivating the Bigfoot account. If anyone gets an e-mail from me at Bigfoot, please don't open it.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:10 AM

A way to alert yourself to auto email viruses is to put at the first address in your address book the email address !000 Worm-Alert.

When a virus that sends out emails automatically does this that mail will bounce back to you letting you know you have this virus. I have everyone in my co's addy book starting out with that mail and it has saved us embarrassment on a couple of occasions.....
Old 02-20-2003, 06:09 PM

This is a good idea.

I don't have my Phat Mack address in any of my email programs, so I don't believe any of these e-mails originated from me. The only addressee that I recognized on a bounce-back was from Chuck's Conjelco address. I think somebody swiped my identity for reasons I don't quite understand. It seems to me they could have invented a bogus identity and used it just as easily.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:29 PM

Pat

Thanks for reply. It was nice of you to let people know that I wasn't blowing smoke.

Carl
Old 02-21-2003, 07:58 PM

Recently some schmuckola started sending out messages to a whole bunch of people about reducing their mortgage rates using my email address. All these people started sending me back messages that they were not interested, and please remove them, etc. It ticked me off a bit. I don't know how to contact the a**hole that was doing this so I just told people that it wasn't me. My sent messages didn't show any unusual activity, so I don't believe it was a virus. My virus checker generally catches all that stuff anyways.

Don
Old 02-22-2003, 01:23 AM

Default Klez operates by forging identities

The identity forging thing is part of the virus, so it's not like someone specifically targeted you to forge. Some of those Klez e-mails have been forged in my e-mail address as well, so I assume the virus swiped addresses from RGP, or perhaps someone infected had some e-mail addresses from RGP in their address book.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Klez operates by forging identities

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html